1956 Automatic transmission shift indicator replacement

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I would like to replace shift indicator plastic piece on a '56 automatic. Must the carpet come out to access the screws holding the chrome housing ? Is there an easy way to install this ?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I believe you just have to remove the two screws on the top holding down the assembly. You may have to remove the knob to get better access. Easy to replace the bulb if needed at that time also. All the parts are available. I should replace my screws as the heads are a bit rusty and the rest is in really good shape.

I would like to replace shift indicator plastic piece on a '56 automatic. Must the carpet come out to access the screws holding the chrome housing ? Is there an easy way to install this ?
The indicator lens mounts under the chrome cover. There is very little clearance between chrome housing and top of Tranny. Putting in the lense is a job for tiny fingers even with rags stuffed ubder the chrome if I drop the lens it will be gone....somewhere. Maybe never to be seen again.

Back