1956 12v battery needed

DJP
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Okay I have a 1956 bird that I need a 12v battery for. I believe it is the original tray but not sure. The battery in it dimensions are 12L x 5 1/4 W x 7 1/2 tall.
The info on the battery was 29n with 420cca. Can anyone help me with a current battery that will fit? Any help would be appreciated. Attaching pictures of tray and battery.

Attachments

• C1975793-E190-4850-A20D-90DE063E8F26.jpeg
    C1975793-E190-4850-A20D-90DE063E8F26.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • AE303ACF-1372-4A5D-BB72-5E54E7C4DC2C.jpeg
    AE303ACF-1372-4A5D-BB72-5E54E7C4DC2C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Go to your local NAPA store or good parts store.
it’s a group 29 battery.
your average big box parts store will most likely not have it.
good lock
Roger

489EBED2-0344-46F5-867D-FC8A0DDF778C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told that the battery out of either a nissan or a toyota car is about the right dimensions. Worth checking out and Interstate is the place to check it out.

Straight up
Group 29 Battery
That group# will get you the dimensions and amp rating that you’ll need.
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The battery you want is a group 29NF. They are available at Interstate battery.

The battery 29nf is to long to use the hold down clamp. I need a 12 1/2" battery and the new 29nf batteries are 13". I would have to make my own hold down assy and modify the tray. I was hoping to keep it original.

Well I have a couple of things relative to my car's battery, The SG32NPP battery I bought from the Battery Central Mall in Feb 2021 for my 57 D code suddenly died yesterday. Dead died. Worked until I parked it. Went to start it 10 minutes later and it was completely dead. Would not even take a jump start. So it lasted exactly, to the day, 3 years. In checking my paperwork I found some instructions on how to properly maintain the battery. While I kept the car on a Battery Tender that is supposed to handle AGM batteries, I did not follow the instructions (naturally) that came with the battery, These state to charge the battery every 2 months using a 10amp or 12 amp charger, only. Anyway, I have not had a battery just quit like that with no warning, and to be completely dead, when it worked just fine 10 minutes earlier. When I tried to jump start it, a fellow from the inevitable group that comes to help in a parking lot, put a tester on the battery. It showed it was fully charged. Yet, only the clock was running. But it would not do a thing when I tried the ignition, nor would the headlights come on. I was later told that the battery could only have had a "surface charge" but could not take a load. I never heard of that before.

I had a old battery, Interstate 29 NF-VHD (4 1/2) years old in the garage, that on occasion I had placed on the battery tender. It started the car right away. Drove the car back about 4 miles, parked it, etc. Went to start the car this morning, and it would barely turn over, and without a jump, no start. Jumped it, car started right up. Fast idle for about 4 minutes, turned the car off, started right back up. I cannot figure out what could be causing a drain while parked, as there is nothing, other than the clock running. Now to finding a replacement battery... Maybe I just have two too old batteries that decided to give up the ghost together so I figured a new battery could hurt.

Tried all of the name brand auto stores here in the Las Vegas area. Group 32 are not happening. Group 29: Firestone "may" have been able to order one, but they don't carry Interstate anymore, O'Reilly's no go. They showed a 29 NF battery, but when they looked to order, it said "not available." Autozone no go, Napa had an old 29nf, didn't want to sell it to me because of age, and could order one. It would have a 6 month replacement guarantee. Advance Auto Parts could order a Diehard 29NF and have it by tomorrow. We, and yes "we" needed two, as my buddy's 55's battery (converted to 12 volt) died this morning at the show we were at. Maybe it is me sucking the mojo out? Anyway, we ordered the two Die Hards, with their 1 year warranty. Promised to be in the local store tomorrow.

But I am at a loss as to what could have caused my 2 battery's to conk out. Especially so suddenly and completely in the case of the AGM from Battery Central Mall. Maybe just a coincidence. Could my alternator be playing a role? I have a 3 year old Power Master that looks like the old generator. It is charging, as once jumped and idled for a few minutes, the old Interstate battery started the car no problem. When the car is off, could the alternator somehow be draining the battery? I have now put a disconnector on the negative post of the battery and disconnected the negative while parked, and will see what happens in the AM.

I'll let you all know if the ordered batteries actually show up. Perhaps there is another size that will work besides a 29 NF or 32 as trying to get a 32 is virtually impossible, and the 29 is getting more difficult? If there is I could not figure out an alternative. Anyone have one that works, and we can actually find?

First check for drainage/short. Pull one battery cable off and put an amp meter in series set at the highest setting and see what the draw is. Or just tap the cable to the post and look for a spark. The clock draws very little and shouldn’t cause a spark. Make sure you are well ventilated as lead acid batteries give off volatile fumes.

You can install a cutoff connector at the battery terminal or just disconnect a terminal and see if it starts up or the headlights burn the next day. This will tell you if you have a short somewhere. If so start pulling fuses until the drain stops on the multimeter or the spark stops.

I have been using a 6v Optima AGM battery for about 6-7 years now on a Beltran battery tender with great results.

Good luck finding the culprit!

My AGM battery died as I'm writing this. I have Jerry's Battery which I have heard is Battery Central Mall. I have had only Email correspondence with a person call "Alice" . I just don't know. I had Googled both. The reviews were not good. All of the reviews that are the internet are all negative. The Email I received from "Alice" told me when the battery is ready to ship then "Alice" will charge my credit card. After reading the above so if the battery lasts for one year or less the reviews said that Jerry's and or BCM ignored all phone calls and E Mails...... I will need to go to Interstate battery which there is one in my neighborhood to get a 29NF battery.
I found this battery to be the closest https://www.centennialbatteries.com/centennial-commercial-heavy-duty-battery-c-31-10ap-group-31

My AGM battery died as I'm writing this. I have Jerry's Battery which I have heard is Battery Central Mall. I have had only Email correspondence with a person call "Alice" . I just don't know. I had Googled both. The reviews were not good. All of the reviews that are the internet are all negative. The Email I received from "Alice" told me when the battery is ready to ship then "Alice" will charge my credit card. After reading the above so if the battery lasts for one year or less the reviews said that Jerry's and or BCM ignored all phone calls and E Mails...... I will need to go to Interstate battery which there is one in my neighborhood to get a 29NF battery.
I found this battery to be the closest https://www.centennialbatteries.com/centennial-commercial-heavy-duty-battery-c-31-10ap-group-31
After having an AGM battery in my Harley for over 8 years and T-Bird for over 7 both on Beltran tenders I will never go back to a lead-acid battery!

I had battery tenders on all my Harley's and my Thunderbird. BTW I bought a used AGM Battery from EBay for the T Bird I had it for 6 years, It just went dead last month.

I had battery tenders on all my Harley's and my Thunderbird. BTW I bought a used AGM Battery from EBay for the T Bird I had it for 6 years, It just went dead last month.
I’m impressed with AGM batteries 👍🏼 plus they can’t spill sulfuric acid, expand, boil over or leak especially when I roll my car 🤣

Okay I have a 1956 bird that I need a 12v battery for. I believe it is the original tray but not sure. The battery in it dimensions are 12L x 5 1/4 W x 7 1/2 tall.
The info on the battery was 29n with 420cca. Can anyone help me with a current battery that will fit? Any help would be appreciated. Attaching pictures of tray and battery.
My 57 takes a N70 battery, which is a very common and easy to find.

Here's is the update...so far. I was able to get a Die Hard 29NF battery from Advance Auto Parts. I had the SG32NPP battery I bought from the Battery Central Mall in Feb 2021 tested. It showed fully charged, but when the tester put a load on it said the battery needed to be replaced. So it lasted 3 years to the date. I kept it on a Deltran Battery Tender when the vehicle was not being driven, It just suddenly died 10 minutes after I had been driving the car, and had shut the car off in a parking lot. It was so dead I could not even get the car to jump start. I put a spare 4 year old Interstate 29NF-VHD on and charged it to show a full charge. I left it on the car overnight, and it was still charged in the AM, so I would guess the alternator is not draining the battery when parked. Also, I drove the car, and the battery was ok when I shut it off, so It appears the alternator is working (That is next, getting the car to a place and have the Power Master alternator checked). The new Die Hard started the car just fine. Back in the day when I lived in the Seattle area and the local Sears had an auto repair facility, I always had very good experiences with Die Hard batteries. Hopefully, they are still as good.

I do miss having the period look of the Battery Central Group 32 battery. But spending almost $400 every three years on a battery just does not seem like a good idea. But It did look good and it was what the car had when originally ordered. I may just breakdown and give it another whirl as car show season gets into swing. Thanks for all of the insights and suggestions.

Back