1955 Sun visor retrofit question

Murray

Murray

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
We want to fit our 55 for sun visors - will the 56-57 inner windshield chrome molding fitted for sun visors attachment be a direct fit replacement for the 55 inner windshield pillar moldings?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The molding should fit. However that is not the problem. The visors are attached to the windshield frame through the molding. I believe there may be a flat portion of the frame under the trim piece. I do not remember as it has been awhile since I have had the trim pieces off for a windshield replacement in my '57.
Hopefully another list member can tell you what it needs to look like for mounting. Even better if they will send a picture of the bare windshield frame. It does seem like it can be done. good luck, J.

Never knew '55's didn't come standard with sun visors.
'55s did not come with sun visors or the side vents on the front fenders. Additionally the electrical system was 6 volt positive ground. They use the pre 1957 Holley "teapot" carburetors. The signal for the vacuum advance is also different from from both the '57 and the '6. The '56 is also different in that the distibutor for '56s have two vacuum pots on the distributor. There are some other items but this is the gist of the differences.

'55s did not come with sun visors or the side vents on the front fenders. Additionally the electrical system was 6 volt positive ground. They use the pre 1957 Holley "teapot" carburetors. The signal for the vacuum advance is also different from from both the '57 and the '6. The '56 is also different in that the distibutor for '56s have two vacuum pots on the distributor. There are some other items but this is the gist of the differences.
I've found that these cars were in a constant state of flux. I've got an early '57 and has a few leftover parts from the '56 model year.

The interior windshield trim pieces are not being reproduced. I'm also going to install visors in my 55, so I bought used 56-57 trim pieces from ebay. I have yet to remove the original trim pieces, so I don't know what to expect to find beneath them. I will say, however, that the visors + hardware shouldn't be so heavy that supporting them should be an issue. The trim pieces are chrome, not stainless. I'm hoping mine can be polished out; otherwise, they will have to be re-chromed. Reproduction visors + hardware will set you back over $300.

Considering the T-birds were Ford's "personal luxury car," and mine is equipped with both tops, Fordomatic, power seats and windows, you think Ford could have included visors. Mine lacks power steering and brakes, as well, but at least they were available options in 55. Visors are a safety feature, so are seat belts, both of which I intend to install.

My '57 came with seat belt mounts from the factory. And had almost every option other than power seats. If you can find the proper trim tapping the frame to accept the new hardware shouldn't be too difficult but modifications always take more time and patience, be prepared to be frustrated.

My '57 came with seat belt mounts from the factory. And had almost every option other than power seats. If you can find the proper trim tapping the frame to accept the new hardware shouldn't be too difficult but modifications always take more time and patience, be prepared to be frustrated.
All '57s came with the dimples where seat belts could be mounted. The seat belts BITD were of the contemporary airplane "flip-over" buckles. All '57s cme with the studs to mount soft top swing arms. Those were production expediencies. Just like all the frames had the drillings and captive nuts for power steering mounts.

The 1956 sun visor arm had a short bend near the mount bracket. The 1957 sun visor arm had a longer bend.

Here is a picture from the Restoration and Specifications Manual.
1956-1956-Sun-Visors.jpg

Non-padded sun visors were standard in the 1956 model year. The 1957 Thunderbirds were equipped with padded dashboards and sun visors as standard equipment. Initially billed separately, they were later included in the base price.

In 1956, optional Lifeguard seat belts were offered as “Safety Package A”.

I also attached an article from the December 1955 issue of Popular Mechanics Magazine, which has the report from the owners of the 1955 Thunderbird and the changes Ford made for the 1956 model year.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Popular Mechanics - Dec 1955.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone actually successfully attached sun visors to a 55 Thunderbird? If so how did you do it? Thanks!

I posted a question on this several years ago and since then I successfully installed sun visors to my 55. I purchased 56 inside window trim, new screws, and the visors. I also had to drill out a new hole in the window trim for the visors to fit properly- you’ll know where to drill when you get there- the new drill whole will have to be pointed downward on that spot.

Back