1955 quietest electric fuel pump recommendations

W

WitcherWatcher

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
Hi guys. I currently have an electric fuel pump mounted near the fuel tank then running in series with the mechanical fuel pump, which was not pumping fuel consistently. car runs fine now, but I don't like the "hum" of the (cheapie) pump, and I fear getting gas in the crankcase oil. Therefor I'm about to run the electric fuel pump line directly to the carb, and change to a quieter pump. Any of you guys with a fairly quiet electric pump ( that's running all the time) please let me know what kind you have. Also, what can I do to make it safer in a crash situation (I have a simple toggle switch under the dash now)?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi, I am running a Holley Red fuel pump mounted by the fuel tank on my 57 and it makes a good amount of humming noise... to be fair though it isn't heard when the top is off driving the car.... So while the holley red works great you want to steer clear of it in your quest of a quiet one. Hope that helps narrow your search some. Good luck!

CASCO pump mounted on frame rail where clutch linkage would be.

I had a Holley Red and the noise was embarrassingly loud. I switched to an inline Holley (12427) Fuel Pump and it is much quieter. Don't know how it compares to any others. You can still hear it clicking a bit when idling with the windows open.

I had a switch under the dash as well but I also installed a low oil pressure cut off switch on a T fitting with my oil pressure sender to shut off my electric fuel pump in case of on accident. It’s a good idea to do this for safety.
Not this exact switch but same idea

Attachments

• 51JCU2We8KL._AC_SY450_.jpg
    51JCU2We8KL._AC_SY450_.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 4
Back