1955 Needs jumped to start

Y
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
292, 6v positive ground. Car will start normally and drive normally, but upon shutting down, and perhaps try to start again......nothing. No power to anythingpushbutton jump, lights, radio, power windows and seats. Only way to restart is by using an old sears jump start unit, the kind used for finding TDC. Solenoid is new, but, could it be bad? Very embarrising when trying to leave the show field. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

How is anyone going to know what your post is about when your title is "1955"? Please follow the posting prompts moving forward. Your post title has been updated to summarize your post.
model-year.jpg

That is a head scratcher for sure. Check your battery cable connections and the connections at the solenoid. The solenoids RARELY fail. most of them get changed because of a weak battery or connection,

You could also have a bad ign switch.
But most likely a loose connection. If I understand your post you have no power but are able to start the car by using a remote starter switch?

292, 6v positive ground. Car will start normally and drive normally, but upon shutting down, and perhaps try to start again......nothing. No power to anythingpushbutton jump, lights, radio, power windows and seats. Only way to restart is by using an old sears jump start unit, the kind used for finding TDC. Solenoid is new, but, could it be bad? Very embarrising when trying to leave the show field. Thanks
I still run 6v in my '55 and when it was hot, it would not start. after replacing the batt cables, solenoid, amongst other items, I finally pulled the starter and got a rebuilt unit out of IL (let me know if you need the name). Anyhow, installed it and have not had any issues since. I would start by checking to make sure you are charging (use a load tester/batt meter), and load test the battery to make certain it is staying charged and good. Probably something simple v. complex, or a combination of simple items needing repair/replacement. My $.02

I am no expert but I have always been told "Check your grounds". I like to add as may ground straps as I can.

Back