1955 ignition switch removal

B

bsccontractor

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I could use some advise to remove ignition switch to hook up new wire harness from power seat

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

the retainer/collar nut is just outside of the key slot with the notches, it unscrews and then the swithch can be pulled out from the back

i.jpg

When you post to the forums, your subject should be a summary of what your post is about. Your title "1955 ignition switch" has been revised.
model-year.jpg
A Google Search reveals this:
In order to replace the ignition key cylinder you must remove the housing assembly from the dash by using a dash bezel tool available from Thunderbird parts dealers. Disconnect the battery before removing the cylinder housing. Once the housing is released it can be dropped below the dash. In most cases the wiring can remain connected.

Photo #1- Once the switch assembly is below the dash you will see a small pin protruding throw a slot in the housing.
Insert the key into the cylinder, push down on the pin it may be necessary to turn the key to accessory or on position before pushing the pin down.

Photo # 2- The small pin should be pressed down flush to remove the key cylinder by pulling the cylinder out of the housing.

Photo # 3-If the key is missing it may be necessary to remove the switch cylinder housing from the dash. After removing the housing take a small punch and drive the small pin down into the cylinder, then the cylinder can be pulled out of the housing.

Insert the new cylinder into the housing with the pin pushed flush, insuring the pin aligns to the slot in the housing. When the key is turned to the on or off position the small pin should pop up into the slot which locks the cylinder into the housing as shown in Photo # 1.
If it was necessary to remove the wiring , reconnect and reinstall the switch housing back into the lower dash, you are good to go.
Photo1.jpgPhoto2.jpgPhoto3.jpg

Last edited:
The tool sold by many is a flat blade like a screwdriver on one side for the ign switch removal and the other side is fashioned fit the other bezels. I think there is a pic of Gil himself using needle nose pliers on those. You can probably back the bezel nut out by hand.

ACC10_l.jpg

I've found that the use of a dime coin works great in removing the "retainer/ collar nut". Reach behind the switch and push it toward you. The dime fills both of the little slots, turn to the right, it falls right off.

I've found that the use of a dime coin works great in removing the "retainer/ collar nut". Reach behind the switch and push it toward you. The dime fills both of the little slots, turn to the right, it falls right off.

Except that won't work on some of the other knobs. Plus, there's a right tool for any job...just my opinion, but why not use it?

folks ive pulled my ignition switch out and replaced ut but key still won't turn by hand .

Sufgestions?

folks ive pulled my ignition switch out and replaced ut but key still won't turn by hand .

Sufgestions?
This may be a dumb question but are you sure that's the right key? It should also work in the door locks, the other is for the trunk & glove box.

If it's a new ignition, then you should have received new keys with it. Keep in mind that the new keys will not work for your door or truck locks.
You'll want to keep your original keys to0 use for the other locks.:oops:

Back