1955 automatic hard shift

JRH

JRH

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Anybody use a product that treats hard shift? My 55 shifts real hard when I go from park to reverse not as bad into drive. I was looking at the Lucas trans treatment for leaks and hard shift. Any one use this kind of product and if so does it really work/

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Anybody use a product that treats hard shift? My 55 shifts real hard when I go from park to reverse not as bad into drive. I was looking at the Lucas trans treatment for leaks and hard shift. Any one use this kind of product and if so does it really work/
What is you idle speed in neutral? Anything over 600/650 RPM will do that.

Magic additives are usually snake oil bandaids IMHO. If your idle speed is around the 550rpm range in park that’s right. Not sure if this might help but mine shifted hard 2nd-3rd until I did the kick down linkage adjustment. The procedure should be under the documents section. If you can’t find it I’ll post it.

How long have you owned the car? How long have you noticed the hard shifting? You can't compare a 67-year-old automatic transmission to one made in 2022. My 55 is the same. First of all, make sure your car is completely stopped when shifting into/out of park and reverse. Originally, Type A transmission fluid was used by Ford for smoother shifts, but those smooth shifts (relatively speaking) came at a price (transmission/torque converter slip), which adversely affected the life of same. Owners started using Type F fluid, which reduced slip and firmed up shifts. Thunderbird Restoration Specifications and Details Manual recommends modern Dexron fluid, which will extend transmission life and require less frequent fluid changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's start here first. When was the last time you serviced the transmission? This includes band adjustment. How frequently are you checking the trans fluid? And does it do this only when cold, or is it the same when warm?

Magic additives are usually snake oil bandaids IMHO. If your idle speed is around the 550rpm range in park that’s right. Not sure if this might help but mine shifted hard 2nd-3rd until I did the kick down linkage adjustment. The procedure should be under the documents section. If you can’t find it I’ll post it.
Linkage Adjustment 1.jpg

Linkage Adjustment 2.jpg
doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Let's start here first. When was the last time you serviced the transmission? This includes band adjustment. How frequently are you checking the trans fluid? And does it do this only when cold, or is it the same when warm?
Band Adjustment Points.jpg

Band Adjustment 1.jpg
doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Another thing to consider after the trans is serviced, if it still does it check the play in your rear end. A worn rear end will cause that issue as well. So does a worn front pump in the transmission.

Been rebuilt 20 years ago It was my dads car after he passed in 2002 the car sat most of the time I just recently got it fired up (3 weeks ago) going through all kinds of other issues. Oil leaks, power steering, tires starting-dying, Ignition, on and on but I'll for sure check into that. Thanks for the info.

Been rebuilt 20 years ago It was my dads car after he passed in 2002 the car sat most of the time I just recently got it fired up (3 weeks ago) going through all kinds of other issues. Oil leaks, power steering, tires starting-dying, Ignition, on and on but I'll for sure check into that. Thanks for the info.
Welcome to the journey. Resurrecting a car like that involves a lot. First don't start it again until you flush the fuel lines, carb included.

Unless you have a strong attachment to the car, sell it to someone who knows what he is getting into and has been down this road before. I wish I had, but I'm in too deep, now.

Unless you have a strong attachment to the car, sell it to someone who knows what he is getting into and has been down this road before. I wish I had, but I'm in too deep, now.
Too late for me also

It's a family heirloom, pull your hair out with pride! Once you have it road ready you will find all the headaches we're worth it.

It's a family heirloom, pull your hair out with pride! Once you have it road ready you will find all the headaches we're worth it.
I have to totally agree with 74 Harley. I've spent a few years bringing my '57 out of hibernation after 20yrs of raising a family. Have the pros do the safety and mechanicals then learn to tinker. You will be amazed that tinkering at night with the radio on in the garage can be frustrating but once you figure it out you will be so proud. Being inquisitive is a must. Why and how will be on your mind constantly. Have fun, it's not a race but a journey.

Last edited:
I was so happy to see break lights I ran in the house and dry humped the wife. LOL

Glad you're making progress. My '62 has been off the road better than 35 years now. Soon it will be back. It's a long process...

Glad you're making progress. My '62 has been off the road better than 35 years now. Soon it will be back. It's a long process...
The break light switch was bad (had to take out the battery and tray to get to it) still didn't work doubled checked the turn signal wires sure enough had the wire in the wrong socket. Moving forward neutral safety switch under the car (ugh jack stands)

Anybody use a product that treats hard shift? My 55 shifts real hard when I go from park to reverse not as bad into drive. I was looking at the Lucas trans treatment for leaks and hard shift. Any one use this kind of product and if so does it really Othello help shifting work/
My transmission shop will only use lube guard addto rebuilds to help shifting .there are three kinds for diffrent type cars. Never use stop leak it just swells the seals orings irregularly.

Use lube guard nothing else professional transmission shops use it .some put a bottle in every rebuild.

Back