1955 aftermarket smaller steering wheel

steve55tbird

steve55tbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I am working on a 1955, I like the steering wheel of a 1956 or 1957. Has anyone used the smaller aftermarket wheel on their 1955? FYI I am not worried about being stock I am changing exterior and interior colors to suit my taste. Thanks have a great day

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If you are not going to keep it in original shape and color scheme to make you happy then what difference does it make; what others think.

The 55 is totally different fit than the 56.57 steering wheels. Check with Casco Thunderbird suppliers.

Attachments

• 3600sm_steering_wheel_installation.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
A '55 has a 'longer' steering column and a 'flat' steering wheel.
The '56 and '57 Birds use a slightly shorter steering column and a 'dished' steering wheel, a safety improvement introduced in '56.

Putting one of the smaller '56/'57 style aftermarket reproduction steering wheels on a '55 steering column will put the rim of the steering wheel that much closer to your chest, approx 3 inches.
Some of this excess distance can be reduced by telescoping the column all the way forward, but it may not be enough???
Even when it's pushed forward the original 'flat' steering wheel in my '55 still feels too close.

Attachments

• 55 T-Bird steering wheel & dash, copy.jpg
    55 T-Bird steering wheel & dash, copy.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 4
  • '56 T-Bird dash.jpg
    '56 T-Bird dash.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 57 Bird dash & steering wheel.jpg
    57 Bird dash & steering wheel.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 56 Lifeguard brochure.jpg
    56 Lifeguard brochure.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
A '55 has a 'longer' steering column and a 'flat' steering wheel.
The '56 and '57 Birds use a slightly shorter steering column and a 'dished' steering wheel, a safety improvement introduced in '56.

Putting one of the smaller '56/'57 style aftermarket reproduction steering wheels on a '55 steering column will put the rim of the steering wheel that much closer to your chest, approx 3 inches.
Some of this excess distance can be reduced by telescoping the column all the way forward, but it may not be enough???
Even when it's pushed forward the original 'flat' steering wheel in my '55 still feels too close.
Thank you that was exactly the information I needed.

I had trouble just getting in under my Stock 57 Swheel. So I replaced it with a smaller after market wood grain wheel. I like it a lot better (my car was not completely original when I got it, so I'm making it my own). The only trouble I have now is my sight line. I have to
duck a little to see the top of the Spedo.
Stock.jpg

AftrMarket.jpeg

I received a good deal on an aftermarket 15" steering wheel versus 17" stock wheel because the seller was not able to mount it in his '55. I am fine with my larger '57 wheel but I could not reject the deal.

One other word of caution: don’t use a steel spoked S/wheel unless you have power steering or a steering dampener. Without dampening you could bump a curb or other object and the wheel will try to cut your fingers off. (speaking from prior experience, I have pw/steering now).

Back