# 1 on list for 05 at my dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LON O'CONNELL

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
Talked with my dealer today and he agreed to put my wife & I as # 1 on the list for a 2005 at MSRP and no deposit. Have bought enough vehicles from them that the General Manager said my word was as good as a deposit. Will be picking up copy of buyers order tomorrow.

Wife and I felt that 20 years from now selling both as a group deal would be great having one of the first 02's (VIN 1396) and any one of the last year 2005 50th Anniversary T-Birds. Real collector would like an early 02 & a 05 as a set both one owner low mileage cars. :)

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

-

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Ford Motor company, and any business for that matter should not be happy with franchises doing stuff like that on pure speculation. Plus dealers have more turnovers than Pepperidge Farms, I'm sure the whole staff will turnover in the next 60 months along with "the list"!

My Two Cents!

P.S. When you go in the dealership, tell him that I said he needs to quit doing mind deals!

September 16, 1999

To: All Ford Dealers (SMD#296)

Subject: Future Thunderbird

The Thunderbird concept car is generating excitement
Since we revealed the Thunderbird concept car at the 1999 North American
International Auto Show, the response from the public, dealers and media
has been absolutely phenomenal. Many of you have seen first hand the
excitement the concept car has created when consumers walk into your
dealership wanting to buy the new Thunderbird now.

Brand image is important
Thunderbird can be an outstanding image car for Ford and Ford dealers. The
impressions consumers have of Thunderbird will be created by the product,
our marketing efforts and their purchase and ownership experience. You
play a particularly key role in the purchase and ownership experience.
Thunderbird is our opportunity to enhance the image of Ford and Ford
dealers, and to become truly consumer driven. With your help in properly
handling these early Thunderbird prospects, Thunderbird will be everything
we both want it to be.

Here are some facts you should know
The Thunderbird is not yet scheduled for production and will not be
available until sometime after the Spring of 2001 – giving the program team
time to make sure the car is everything you and our customers are
expecting. Production will be limited and no dealer should assume he or
she will receive a significant allocation of vehicles. Allocations will
not be affected by the number of orders dealers have taken.

Deposits should not be accepted
I’m aware some dealers have already begun to accept deposits. Ford Motor
Company is not accepting orders at this time and dealers should not accept
deposits from consumers.

Consumer satisfaction is key
Dealers are advised to take the names of consumers who wish to purchase
this car but not take deposits. Consumers can then be recontacted once you
know you have allocation to provide them vehicles, the time frame that you
can provide them in, and the price at which you can sell them. We must
give consumers a realistic assessment of when they are likely to take
delivery of their new cars but we can’t do that now.

It’s been some time since we’ve had a car generate so much enthusiasm with
the public. Together, our job is to maintain that enthusiasm while
managing consumer expectations so every Thunderbird prospect and customer
has a good experience.

/s/ Jim O'Connor

-

Lon, I'm curious... are you getting one of the T-birds with the new super-powerful engines (390 horses or something like that). I think(?) that only some of the 2005's are supposed to have the advanced engine -- are you getting one of those or a "regular" T-bird?

Turnover is obviously huge at most dealerships. I made my deal for my T-bird at the start of 2001. The sales guy I made my deal with had moved on to greener pastures, and when my vehicle got delivered, I got the run around. Ugh. After somewhat painful negotiations, I got my T-bird at the deal I made originally, which was particularly good for the area in which I live. Since I got the run around after waiting 16 months, I can only imagine what you <might> have to deal with three years from now! Hopefully your track record with your dealer and your relationship with them will work out for the best. Good luck and we'll be anxious to see the pics (yeah, I know, just hurry up and wait...)

The General Manager is part owner and has been there since the dealer opened in 1982 so he is not going anywhere unless they shut the doors. It was not a corrupt deal as no money will be changing hands. It's just a way to be sure I am #1 on the list if the 05's truly do come out. Would like one of the supercharged models and that was the reason I wanted to see if he would make me #1 because we don't know how many will be avaliable or if only select dealers get one, or if each dealer may only get one. If I decide to back out there is no problem. Again this is just to assure that when the time comes I will be #1 on the list.

------------------
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Lon, I think your idea is great. Sort of making your own history of the New Birds. As a past employee of the dealership I am sure that you know who you are dealing with. Only question is; what shape will the 02 Bird be in compared to the new one when it comes time to sell? I am sure that you are like me and really enjoy driving the 02 Bird.

I'm with you too LON, I actually told my dealer BEFORE there was an announcement. Thinking ahead to the 50 aniv. (Did reconfirm with the press release)

It is a small dealer who only gets one car, so hopefully each dealer will be allowed one of the supercharged ones.

Do you think the 50th aniv will only be available in Inca Gold? I am not that big of fan of that color. Maybe would even keep me from getting it.

I really don't know if I would keep my Yellow 2002 or trade it in. Would hate to have two of these cars sitting most of the time, but trading my first baby will be unthinkable too. At least with two cars, two kids willing them would not be as big a deal. :)

I did not put down a deposit, didn't talk price or anything. But, then again we didn't for my 2002 either. I got it at MRSP when other dealers were offering them for much more.

I'm not a fan of Inca Gold either, but maybe it will be some collectors favorite color in 20 years. I feel selling the 02 & the 05 as a set will bring more money especially as both will be low mile one owner cars. expect the 02 to have 40 - 50K in 20 years and he 05 about half that amount. Just a gamble. May not be worth anything in 20 years, but on the other hand they could be worth 10 - 20 times their original value as the prestine 55, 56, 57's are. Only time will tell.

------------------
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back