2005 Tonnue cover, am I doing it wrong?

Rusty_G
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Getting Diablo ready for a parade tomorrow and I have never used the tonnue cover that came with the car. Does this look right? I actually think it looks better without this cover if this actually how it is supposed to be.

Attachments

• IMG_20190526_150558591.jpg
    IMG_20190526_150558591.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 3

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Getting Diablo ready for a parade tomorrow and I have never used the tonnue cover that came with the car. Does this look right? I actually think it looks better without this cover if this actually how it is supposed to be.
Rusty it is installed correctly. I do not like the look either.

Unfortunately, it is right and as good as you get with a 2002 OEM cover. For a great look and fit, you need a 03-05 OEM cover. For an example, see pictures in my post on a wind deflector.

The back of the cover tucks under were the top folds into. It does not tuck under the trunk lid unless you have an aftermarket cover

Please include the model year in the subject on future posts. I've added this for you.

model-year-TBF.jpg

My 2002 does not fit like that but I was talking to someone yesterday that had s 2002 and he had to buy an aftermarket one for his.. the original got damaged.. he said his aftermarket on fit like the one in your photo.. tucks under trunk lid

You have a Roadster Solutions boot; see http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page50.html. That's how they go on- snapped to the factory snaps and tucked under the trunk lid. The factory boot is much stiffer and tucks under the rear deck where the top folds down, not under the trunk lid . The OEM boot is only available as a used part, not from Ford. They sell on eBay for $400-800+ The Roadster Solutions boot is about $150. The 2002 and 2003-05 OEM boots both tuck under the rear deck. The difference between the 02 boot and later ones is that the 02 boot is really bulky and doesn't fold up as compactly as the later versions. The 02 boot only folds in half and uses most of the trunk, while the later ones fold into sixths and fit in the niche in the front of the trunk.

That is not an OEM cover. The two tails are supposed to go inside the trunk lid to hold down the back edge.

The two tails of this Roadster Solutions cover have to go under the trunk lid. The OEM covers don't have the tails at all.

The two tails of this Roadster Solutions cover have to go under the trunk lid. The OEM covers don't have the tails at all.

I have the OEM cover and sometimes when I am droving down the Interstate doing 65+ mph and I look in the rear view mirror, I can see that hard 2002 boot bobbing and flexing in the wind.. I think to my self, is that going to stay on? There are no snaps in the middle and you can see the wind pushing the boot up and down a bit in the middle..

Oh, your Bird is gorgeous and you put it on correctly. It’s just that the after-market cover is crapulous junk! Get a real, Ford-made cover.

Never have seen one like that. I've got two different ones and they don't extend last the rear of the opening.

Thanks for the responses, I opted to put the cover in the trunk for the parade.

Attachments

• IMG_7428.JPG
    IMG_7428.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
Never have seen one like that. I've got two different ones and they don't extend last the rear of the opening.

Find an owner with an ORIGINAL Ford cover of 2003 or newer. Get him to sell the cover. The rear of the second generation cover is SO heavy that it does not need to be held down. Yet it rolls up and fits well in the cubbyhole allowed for it. I will say though, the snaps are a bitch
to apply !!

My consultant/installer put in the BEST available Kenwood system. It allows for mini or “lightning” cords to come out for connecting your ‘phone or for your guests.
BASS SPEAKERS of high quality were built-in by Ford at the factory. My guy may have installed a small amplifier, I do not recall. The bass sound is KILLER!

Find an owner with an ORIGINAL Ford cover of 2003 or newer. Get him to sell the cover. The rear of the second generation cover is SO heavy that it does not need to be held down. Yet it rolls up and fits well in the cubbyhole allowed for it. I will say though, the snaps are a bitch
to apply !!
Will a 2003-2005 cover fit an '02?

Oh, your Bird is gorgeous and you put it on correctly. It’s just that the after-market cover is crapulous junk! Get a real, Ford-made cover.
This is the 2002 factory one, I rubbed some hard bar soap on the snaps and the went on easy and held firmly... even at 70 mph in the turbulence of a semi! It looks sharp!

Attachments

• IMG_2214.JPG
    IMG_2214.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Back