cliffcostello

Our 1957 Ford Thunderbird

Pics of our 1957 Ford Thunderbird, acquired in Sep of 2020. Originally sold new at Courtesy Motor Sales in Chicago, IL, found it's way to San Diego, CA by 2005. From there it came to upstate NY and was owned by a gentleman for 15 years .. and almost never driven. We've done a lot of repairs and upgrades to resolve reliability and drivability issues .... now getting ready for the 2021 car show season. Enjoy the pics of the stunning car.
cliffcostello
57 with Continental Tire?
Unfortunately someone added an aftermarket to this probably about the time it was restored ...maybe 25 years ago. I hate it .. and am going to have it removed at some point. Just spent $6K working through all the reliability and drivability issues this past Winter .. probably next year's project. Gotta weld and repaint the rear valance after the kit is removed ... they drilled 4 holes through the valance for the tire mount. Ugh!!!!

cliffcostello
Glad to see your glasses are working! This type of stuff is subjective.

With that said, I'm about to send this out as the photo of the week so anybody who landed her from the newsletter keep your comments civil! Everyone is fully aware some people don't like cars being modified.
Oh I get it .... I get both comments from folks ... even the 84 year old gentleman who I bought the car from loved it ... I told him, that as soon as the budget allows, that kit is history. I like the pure clean look of the 57 rear end .... and this one will ultimately be returned to that state.

Jockeydoc
Being from the UK, I think the continental makes these cars look even more American... sorry !
I am currently looking to buy a '57 (year of my birth). Initially I didn't realise that they come with such modifications available.... I know the purist amongst you want "Originality" but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and if it sparkles and shines then someone has put some "love" into it..... now starting to change my mind and looking at the '59 (Wife's birth year) so that we can take some friends in the back seat !!

J
Beautiful car. Just bought a 2003 and it has the continental kit on the back. I love the look. Extremely unique. I may remove it in the future ( I hope it's easy enough) but I'm lovin it right now. My first T bird by the way. 73 year old man having my mid life crisis.

biddle
Beautiful car. Just bought a 2003 and it has the continental kit on the back. I love the look. Extremely unique. I may remove it in the future ( I hope it's easy enough) but I'm lovin it right now. My first T bird by the way. 73 year old man having my mid life crisis.
Share some photos in the media gallery.

cliffcostello
Awesome!! We just sold our White 2003 Thunderbird to my sister-in-law and brother-in-law to buy our 57 TBird. We loved the 2003 .. only had 28k miles on it ... black and red interior!! What color is yours? BTW, I'm 67 year old in constant state of mid life crisis ... been going on for 30 years!! LOL

Jockeydoc
Going to see a '56 Peacock Blue (with continental tyre) in the UK tomorrow, owned by 80 yr old chap who thinks he's too old for it! He's had it for 20 years and just had the inside redone... Hope my wife likes it !!!

cliffcostello
Going to see a '56 Peacock Blue (with continental tyre) in the UK tomorrow, owned by 80 yr old chap who thinks he's too old for it! He's had it for 20 years and just had the inside redone... Hope my wife likes it !!!
AWESOME!!!! Make sure you post some pics of it!!!!

Album information

Album owner
cliffcostello
Date created
Item count
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Album privacy

cliffcostello

Can view media items