WTB 1957 Temperature Gauge, Gas Gauge

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently bought a 1957 and the gas gauge does not work as it should. I had it checked by a pro mechanic and he concluded the problems with the gauge. On the temperature gauge he found that the wrong gauge was installed (it work backwards). It was a 56 gauge (readily available) not a 57. If you have either of these gauges please advise. Thanks.

To all- Please do not post parts wanted in the general forums. We have an entire area of the site dedicated to buying & selling parts. Post moved.
19386_f87b11203c51d2e27a6c7ebd6dc041c7.jpg

I recently bought a 1957 and the gas gauge does not work as it should. I had it checked by a pro mechanic and he concluded the problems with the gauge. On the temperature gauge he found that the wrong gauge was installed (it work backwards). It was a 56 gauge (readily available) not a 57. If you have either of these gauges please advise. Thanks.

With your gas gauge problem it might be in the float that’s in the gas tank or wiring as far as the temperature gauge I replaced mine with an actual aftermarket gauge they mounted on the bottom of the dash much more accurate but in your case the wiring might be backwards to the gauge that you have

Regarding your gas gauge and temperature gauges. They are really not twelve volt gauges. They are regulated by a 5 volt intermittant regulator on the rear of the gauge mounts inside the dash area. the most common indicator of a failure of the regulator is that both gauges read incorrectly. the temperature gauge will show full over heating and the fuel gauge will display as empty. Hopefully your pro mechanic knows this. the dash in the '56 Thunderbird looks different from the '57. Upon removal the gauge may have a date stamp on the rear of the gauge.

Back