woodgrain trim on a 63 convertible, how to freshen it up

BP63

BP63

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, my 63 convertible has wood-grain trim, which seems like it would have been more likely to have been in a Landau than a convertible. it's in good shape, but looks a little dull. Assuming it's some sort of plastic overlay, I'd like to clean it and preserve it, but worry about what cleaners to use -- don't want to do anything that would damage it. Does anyone have any products they recommend? I don't want it shiny/glossy, but a little more glow would be nice.

Also, am I correct that wood-grain was not a std. convertible trim option?

thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I've had good luck with Surf City Garage's Dash Away interior detailer. It isn't oily and leaves no residue.

There are many more expert folks out there but I doubt that woodgrain was a standard trim on convertibles. However, if it extends to the door panels, I suspect it must have been an option that is original to the car. If it doesn't extend to the door panels, I would suspect your dash has been replaced.

thanks. the wood trim extends along the doors. my first guess is that the whole interior was replaced and someone preferred the wood so grabbed it from a Landau parts car. Just checking to see if it ever was an option from the factory and could actually have been original. First full restoration was around 1990.

Go to Walmarts and buy a can of Silicone spray. Spray it on heavy and let it soak in. Then lightly wipe it off. Will brighten it up and will leave it slick feeling and nothing will stick to it. I use it on my dash and on my seaats and anything that I want to brighten up and make stain free. Test a few spots and see how it works for you. Old dull dash covers come alive after spraying. I actually spay on and do not wipe till the next day. Let me know how it works for you.

Back