Won't stay in park

Skip
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
hi I'm new here and I have a '65 with a 390 I got it for my daughters sweet 16 ... We have done quite a lot to the car and thought we were about to get her ( Marilyn , the cars name ) on the road ... Well here is my latest problem . When I go to start her I have to pull up on the gear shift lever so my brother and I tried to adjust the linkage on the fire wall ... Well now she won't stay in park... My brother says I need a bushing but every place I call says no one makes it and it's actually the steering column needs rebuild ... She stayed in park till the adjustment... Any ideas on what to do

your problem is not a big one. first adjust the linkage back to where it was working OK and staying in park....... don't worry about starting while you are doing this. Just get that part right first

then for the starting....... you have a neutral safety switch mounted under the dash on the steering column. it is located near where the brake pedal goes up there and is on the top side of the column tube. you should see a white plastic part with a couple of black vacuum hoses going to it. that is it. It is held on the column with 2 little bolts with 5/16" heads on them. With your car in park loosen those little bolts and move that switch toward the gas pedal just a wee bit and them try it and just go from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
your problem is not a big one. first adjust the linkage back to where it was working OK and staying in park....... don't worry about starting while you are doing this. Just get that part right first

then for the starting....... you have a neutral safety switch mounted under the dash on the steering column. it is located near where the brake pedal goes up there and is on the top side of the column tube. you should see a white plastic part with a couple of black vacuum hoses going to it. that is it. It is held on the column with 2 little bolts with 5/16" heads on them. With your car in park loosen those little bolts and move that switch toward the gas pedal just a wee bit and them try it and just go from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back