Window Tinting on a 2004 Thunderbird

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
T

Thunderstruck2004

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm the second owner of my Tbird, and when I bought it in 2009 the side windows were tinted. At the time there were no problems with visibility in either one; however, over the past year or two I have noticed the visibility through my passenger window has gotten more and more blurry. It is to the point now where I can't even read a sign through the window. Initially, I thought it was grease on the window, something that maybe smeared on when I opened/closed the window, so I cleaned it, and with the cleaning (using Griot's spray on car wash, no ammonia in it) a metallic layer is lost from the window on the side of the tinting, but no improvement in visibility (A big project to remove the metallic layer that was now flaking off though!). I don't really know much about window tinting, and I don't know whether it was applied professionally, or by the previous owner on her own, but do you all have any advise on what is the best course of action? I don't really think I care too much if the windows are tinted or not, so removing it wouldn't be the end of the world. For the sake of keeping my car the same as she's been the whole time I've owned her though, I'd like to repair it, if possible.

I'm going to tackle the tint on mine as soon as my hard-top carrier arrives. My previous car started developing these bizarre "scan-lines" in the tint so I think I can relate to what you experienced.

Basically taking off the tint isn't too awful - I've done it before with a hair dryer, and a spray bottle of vinegar and water solution. Just start at a corner and slowly work your way to the opposing corner.

Back