Will a 289 bolt into 1955 Tbird trany

skidrdan

skidrdan

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I was wondering if anyone has put a 289 into a 1955 Tbird. i might have to do alot of work to my 292 Y block and was just wondering if the 289 was able to fit into the car. just a thought.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I was wondering if anyone has put a 289 into a 1955 Tbird. i might have to do alot of work to my 292 Y block and was just wondering if the 289 was able to fit into the car. just a thought.
I don't know what part of the country you aare in. "Birds on the Wharf" in Santa Cruz California in about two weeks usually has several birds with engine transplants. A friend of mine has a 289 in one of his '56 Birds. I have seen various engine transplants; Cadillac, FE series big blocks, 429 and 460 Ford V-8s, chevrolet big and small blocks, Ford modular motors, 1st genearation Hemis. and 502 Lincoln engines. etc. Just about any engine will fit.

I don't know what part of the country you aare in. "Birds on the Wharf" in Santa Cruz California in about two weeks usually has several birds with engine transplants. A friend of mine has a 289 in one of his '56 Birds. I have seen various engine transplants; Cadillac, FE series big blocks, 429 and 460 Ford V-8s, chevrolet big and small blocks, Ford modular motors, 1st genearation Hemis. and 502 Lincoln engines. etc. Just about any engine will fit.
Thanks for the reply. I'm in colorado. I was wondering if the 289 would bolt up the the original bell housing. will have to give it a try. thanks again.

No it will not bolt up to the original bellhousing. You may be able to find a 289/302/351W bellhousing with a dual pattern. The narrow set may likely bolt up to the transmission and connect the engine and transmission together. I am assuming that you are talking about a manual transmission. An Ford-O-Matic will not marry to the engine. If you are going the automatic route use a C-4 or an AOD.

I agree that the match up on the bell housing. might have to do some minor alterations to the tranny tunnel.

No it will not bolt up to the original bellhousing. You may be able to find a 289/302/351W bellhousing with a dual pattern. The narrow set may likely bolt up to the transmission and connect the engine and transmission together. I am assuming that you are talking about a manual transmission. An Ford-O-Matic will not marry to the engine. If you are going the automatic route use a C-4 or an AOD.
Thanks so much for the info. I have a C4 trany but not sure what kind of mods a would need to do. Drive shaft , mounts and all. new adventures.

I agree that the match up on the bell housing. might have to do some minor alterations to the tranny tunnel.
Thanks, I'm hoping not to change things much. I hope to keep close to original at some point. just thinking out loud.

Back