whitewall tire replacement--57 tbird

S

southpaw

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
hi colleagues, first thanx for replies on getting the top off: success!

the tires on it now are coker classic size P205/75R14, with 2" whitewalls. i like the thick whitewall look. the DOT number is on the inside wall i found out, so i have to get under the car to see how old they are. i have a feeling the vehicle was sitting for a while before i acquired it, so i think i will just replace them.
1) is there any other dimension i need to know before purchasing, other than the above, such as rim diameter or width?
2) the are tons of websites selling these. does anyone have a suggestion on the best value?

thanx! southpaw

the tires on it now are coker classic size P205/75R14, with 2" whitewalls. i like the thick whitewall look. the DOT number is on the inside wall i found out, so i have to get under the car to see how old they are. i have a feeling the vehicle was sitting for a while before i acquired it, so i think i will just replace them.
1) is there any other dimension i need to know before purchasing, other than the above, such as rim diameter or width?
2) the are tons of websites selling these. does anyone have a suggestion on the best value?

thanx! southpaw

Hey southpaw -

The correct size for the '57 is 7.50 x 14 with 2.25" whitewall (different than the '55-56).

I purchased BF Goodrich Silvertowns last year for my '57 and am very happy with the look and quality. I had previously purchased Coker bias-ply in the same size and went through 3 sets that had damage out of the box and had very bad overall quality-control issues. Note that the Slivertowns are also bias-ply. IN my opinion, radials just don't look right on these cars (more like truck tires with whitewalls glued on). I've heard nothing but bad things about the Coker Classic radials, so I wouldn't recommend.

Good luck!

thanx! southpaw

I purchased wide whitewall radials for my ‘60 a few years ago from Diamond Back and have been very pleased with them. At the time, they were much less expensive than Coker. The best part is they don’t yellow at all over time, like Coker’s do, as long as you only clean them with SOS pads as they recommend. They have lots of size and width options, too.

Hey southpaw -

The correct size for the '57 is 7.50 x 14 with 2.25" whitewall (different than the '55-56).

I purchased BF Goodrich Silvertowns last year for my '57 and am very happy with the look and quality. I had previously purchased Coker bias-ply in the same size and went through 3 sets that had damage out of the box and had very bad overall quality-control issues. Note that the Slivertowns are also bias-ply. IN my opinion, radials just don't look right on these cars (more like truck tires with whitewalls glued on). I've heard nothing but bad things about the Coker Classic radials, so I wouldn't recommend.

Good luck!
very helpful i will research those thanx so much !

I purchased wide whitewall radials for my ‘60 a few years ago from Diamond Back and have been very pleased with them. At the time, they were much less expensive than Coker. The best part is they don’t yellow at all over time, like Coker’s do, as long as you only clean them with SOS pads as they recommend. They have lots of size and width options, too.
thank you for the advice!

I have had very good use from Diamond back i think they look great. 2
25 is the correct ww width

Back