Which is most Collectible 61 or 66 Q Code

G
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
None
i am about to purchase my first Vintage T Bird, a nice 61 or a nice 66 Q Code, both are convertibles and both are a 2 or better. Which one would be the most desirable and collectible?
Graham

If you are buying just to check off a box on a list then what difference does it make?
If you are buying one or the other just because folks here on the site suggest one over the other, what if they are wrong?
If you are buying because you think you want to make an investment to the future, what if you guess wrong?
Why not buy the one that pleases YOU the most and frankly just enjoy every moment with the car.

Between the two, I don't know. It's a matter of which one you want. The 66 has disk brakes which is a plus. I don't know what other options the two cars have. Two different body styles, do you prefer one over the other?

I'll say this: of you're looking for a car based totally on how much you can flip it for, don't buy a Thunderbird. These are IMPRESSIVE cars, they turn heads, and crowds gather wherever they're parked, even at a car show, but stick a price tag on it and nobody's interested. They'd rather buy a Mustang or Chevelle. Seems they want more "Muscle." Thunderbirds have all the muscle but twice the weight.

I bought a Thunderbird because I wanted a Thunderbird. No return on what I'm continuing to pour into it, but that's not why I bought it.

If you are buying just to check off a box on a list then what difference does it make?
If you are buying one or the other just because folks here on the site suggest one over the other, what if they are wrong?
If you are buying because you think you want to make an investment to the future, what if you guess wrong?
Why not buy the one that pleases YOU the most and frankly just enjoy every moment with the car.
I agree with his reply. Birds are nice. But don't put a price tag on it. I have a 65 convertible. No way will I get my money back. But sure feel good getting the thumbs up!

I am in it for the long term and will want to make the car perfect. I already have a Pontiac GTO Judge and a GTO Convertible , both Show Cars. I like the Bird design . Just wanted to get a feeling for which year might be best . The Q Code motor is an advantage as are discbrakes on the front for the 1966. Both cars are in great shape with the 61 requiring less work

As an old collector, usually post war time british, I came to Tbirds only recently. Have bought two and working on two more. Likley a 59 and a 64-66
1. Classic tbirds is a slow market with many nice even rare cars sitting for months.
2. These cars are cheap especially compared to Corvettes, Jags, Aston Martins.
3. Buy what pleases you and enjoy it for the classic experience it brings.
If you maintain the car and buy it a market price you might , maybe , break even.
good luck...

As an old collector, usually post war time british, I came to Tbirds only recently. Have bought two and working on two more. Likley a 59 and a 64-66
1. Classic tbirds is a slow market with many nice even rare cars sitting for months.
If you maintain the car and buy it a market price you might , maybe , break even.
good luck...
good luck...
I completely understand the market and it’s lack of appeal but I still appreciate the design . Just trying to make a decision

Bullet birds look cool if you ask me. 66 tbirds have a nice look, but I would personally go with the previous generation. Drum brakes can be easily swapped out for disc if you really despise them. It just boils down to which one you like best. Personal preference. Neither one is best in any regard. Take your pick or buy them both? It's not like these era cars are particularly costly.

I completely understand the market and it’s lack of appeal but I still appreciate the design . Just trying to make a decision
Bullet birds look cool if you ask me. 66 tbirds have a nice look, but I would personally go with the previous generation. Drum brakes can be easily swapped out for disc if you really despise them. It just boils down to which one you like best. Personal preference. Neither one is best in any regard. Take your pick or buy them both? It's not like these era cars are particularly costly.
thanks for the input - difficult decision but I will buy one of them. Thanks again

61-63 Personally I like but as the others have mentioned, it what you like which matters! Upgrades are available on most models and quite cheap if you live in the US, expensive due to postage / duty like me in the UK. If you're not fussed about concourse, even better.

If recouping investment (setting realistic pricing and how much to plough into the car) is important to you, you could check the Hagerty website for their information on average auction prices and change over time.

Back