Which brand of front struts for 2002 T Bird

edward301
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
While changing out the front suspension parts for my red 02 Bird, I am going to go ahead
and change the struts at the same time.

There appears to be three brands available, along with one or two no name brands.

KYB, OSC, and Monroe are the name brand struts. Has anyone used these brands,
any comments on which is best, or does not matter.

MODERATOR NOTE:
Front- KYB 341655 Excel-G Gas Strut
Rear- KYB GR-2/Excel-G Gas 341656 Shock Absorber

You can purchase the H&R Lowering Springs here on Amazon- https://amzn.to/2GFGZiM

Monroe has had bad reviews on the LS forums and on Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

While changing out the front suspension parts for my red 02 Bird, I am going to go ahead
and change the struts at the same time.

There appears to be three brands available, along with one or two no name brands.

KYB, OSC, and Monroe are the name brand struts. Has anyone used these brands,
any comments on which is best, or does not matter.
Hi,
I recently replaced my shock/springs with KYB and H&R lowering springs in a 2003 Tbird. The car seems to ride like new and corners much better. I also replaced the strut bars with moog replacements. I was not able to find a single "Strut" replacement they needed to be disassembled and reassembled with new springs.

The KYB shocks seem to be of high quality but only time will tell.

Fred

Did you install yourself or have done? Where did you buy the parts? Thinking of doing the same myself with a 2005.
thanks

I bought the H&R springs after almost getting screwed from « Thunderbird Specialties » and paid lot cheaper too !
Bought the shocks, top plates, top A arms, all the link kits, etc from Rockauto. Com. I highly recommend buying from Rockauto, prices are fair, shipping is great. and yes, did all the work myself.

I bought the H&R springs on E bay, after almost getting screwed from « Thunderbird Specialties » and paid lot cheaper too !
Bought the shocks, top plates, top A arms, all the link kits, etc from Rockauto. Com. I highly recommend buying from Rockauto, prices are fair, shipping is great. and yes, did all the work myself.
Same here bought H&R springs on Amazon, shocks at Rock Auto. Had the springs changed at local shop but did all the remaining work myself.

When I changed out my front end I went with "Monroe". Reason? Just the only name brand I heard of - never heard of KYB or the others. Last time I changed shocks before putting struts on the Tbird was 45 years ago and that is when "airshocks" to jack up the rear end was the rage. Gabriel HiJackers????? LOL When I got out of high school I worked at a Sears auto as a "parts changer" (not a mechanic) and we used Sears Steadyriders then.

I just went with "Monroe" because of the brand name. Don't really know if it made a difference or not.

I just did the front with Monroe's with spring from Rock Auto. I am in the middle of doing the back with KYB's using the old springs and it has been a struggle. I am waiting for https://www.ebay.com/itm/172201068471?ul_noapp=true as the rubber is bad on the old and doing everything at once saves a lot of work. I looked for but could not find rear struts with spring combo. Changing the springs even with proper tools has been difficult.

Hi,
I recently replaced my shock/springs with KYB and H&R lowering springs in a 2003 Tbird. The car seems to ride like new and corners much better. I also replaced the strut bars with moog replacements. I was not able to find a single "Strut" replacement they needed to be disassembled and reassembled with new springs.

The KYB shocks seem to be of high quality but only time will tell.

Fred
I’ve had issues with the suspension being on low on my 2005, blocking among other things the only tunnel carwash due to the track. Would one need 5 lower what is already lower than is usual amongst cars normally seen?

booty, sorry to hear it has been a difficult job. I changed my own front end out 2 summer ago. Never have got around to changing the rear. Was hoping it would be easier.

I ordered the KYB brand, so we will see how it goes. I am keeping the original springs since
the car height is fine. Also had to order a set of spring compressors, so I can get the springs
off.

I ordered the KYB brand, so we will see how it goes. I am keeping the original springs since
the car height is fine. Also had to order a set of spring compressors, so I can get the springs
off.

I did the same, but as i removed the strut/ spring assembly, i noticed both front coils were broken. This is why i bought the H&R coils.
Make sure you get the beefest spring compressor tool, i had a hard time compressing them to fit the nut. Also, i highly recommend changing the upper strut bushing.

When I remove everything, if anything is broken, I will replace it. I did check spring, and
top bushing, they look fine. So we will see.

Where were the springs broken, I would imagine at the top circular flat area.

When I remove everything, if anything is broken, I will replace it. I did check spring, and
top bushing, they look fine. So we will see.

Where were the springs broken, I would imagine at the top circular flat area.

Actually, at the bottom,, first ring on both coils

Dug into the right front suspension. The front strut was weak after 16.5 years and 13k miles, you
could see where the shaft seal was leaking some oil. Went on and replaced everything while in there.
New kyb strut, spring was good, as well as mounting plate and spring bushings. Did install new upper
control arm, even though old one was still good, boot was intact, don't know why. Lower control arm
was in great condition, both bushings were perfect, installed new sway bar link, previous owner
replaced steering link recently. I did buy some new ratcheting wrenches that sure made it easy to
remove the nuts in the engine compartment for the upper control arm. The steering knuckle was
good, but rubber boot to 14mm ball joint was cracked, tried replacing ball joint, really tough, so I
ordered two new steering knuckles with ball joint already installed which will be here in a few days,
then will finish reinstalling.wheel well.JPG new strut.JPG wrench.JPG Old control arm.JPG

The right side went so well, I decided to go ahead an work on the left side. Got top control arm
replaced, sway bar link, and steering link, all were original and worn, but good rubber boots.
The 14mm ball joint on the steering knuckle was cracked, and will replace knuckle with ball
joint installed. Also replaced original fuel filter. Almost all done. In the first picture there is a
computer mounted between the fender and the car body, anyone know what this computer
does???Fuel filter.JPG T bird left wheel.JPG

All finished rebuilding front suspension on my 02 red bird. Replaced everything except spring, and lower
control arm. Replacing both front struts made a big difference on the way the car rides. No squeeks or
thumps, and replacing steering knuckle with new lower ball joint really makes the car steer precise.
It drives like a new car, tight. Here are some photos. Did have to drill out the rivets to move the disk
brake dust shield over to the new knuckle.tb knuckles old.JPG tb knuckles finished.JPG tb left fin.JPG tb left fin 2.JPG tb both.JPG tb knuckles old.JPG

The one thing I observed in all this work is how loose the ball joints were, and how week the struts
were in both cars, even with only 12k, and 13k miles.

I am sure the struts leaked due to age of the components, but the ball joints should have been
tighter with only that number of miles. Makes me wonder how good they were when made.

Back