Where does the oil go once for a 1964 Tbird 390?

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
This might be really dumb but it’s my first oil change in a t bird and for the life of me I can find where to put the oil in please help! I have a 1964 Thunderbird 390

Well.... it should be right behind the radiator surge tank (square -ish tank with cap on it between engine and radiator) to the left - by the left side (pass side) valve cover. it is the tube that comes up with round mushroom type cap on it.

good luck!

i have one on each side but the drivers side is the only one that comes loose. Could that be it?

This is a '64 filler is on the passenger side behind the surge tank:

upload_2018-12-7_15-21-1.png

This might not necessarily be a stupid question.

On the 1964 Thunderbird, the oil filler sits right on top of the manifold, behind the radiator surge tank. Lift off the filler cap, bada bing. BUT -- does this car have the original engine with the original intake? If the car has an Edelbrock intake, guess what? No filler. I believe you could buy them long ago, but not anymore. If you have an aftermarket intake, those THUNDERBIRD valve covers must come off and be replaced with 65-66 types or some chrome aftermarket, with a filler cap on the cover. If you don't have either, you might have to use a nice funnel and go in through the dipstick. This is stupid, but I've seen it before.

By the way, my avatar seems to look a lot like Mr. 64Zcode, but I don't think it's the same car (unless he snuck over to my house and took a picture of mine). Mine looks like a cornucopia with a trunkload of old car radios.

Same thing happened to me the first time I changed the oil in my 64 T-Bird. I'm used to the oil being filled over the valves not by itself in a tube.

Attachments

• 20180502_191900.jpg
    20180502_191900.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
I looked closer and on my '64, which I believe is all stock, the oil filler pipe goes through the intake manifold. I hadn't noticed that before but now this all makes sense. Something to consider if I ever get around to changing to an aftermarket intake manifold.

This might be really dumb but it’s my first oil change in a t bird and for the life of me I can find where to put the oil in please help! I have a 1964 Thunderbird 390

I think its admirable you even asked this. Kudos for not caring what people think. Also everyone that chimed in was slso cool about it. I can’t imagine having to funnel oil down a dipstick narrow tube? Wow, you live and learn. Im new here too. This site has already saved me frustration, time, and money. Merry Christmas people.

Those radios are long gone.

Many years ago, my old supplier had some junk radios he was getting rid of -- manual-tune sets for 1955-57 Chevys. I brought them home and parted out all but a couple. Later I got a second bunch, assorted pushbutton sets, mostly Delcos. The parts have come in handy, and to this day I've got an assortment of boneyard sets to pick from.

Get the Shop Manual First, Read it. Then Ask questions....On the 390 motor it's the long funnel"tube" on passengers' right side with a half rounded top (cap") It might have the letters stamped OIL or it might read upside down 7IO.

Here's a photo of my 61 T Bird's 390 engine. Look at the silver top on the lower left side of the picture. with the red stickerthunderbird 8.jpg

Back