What to do with Top

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am seriously considering the T-Bird, I really want a convertible, but what does everyone do with the top, does it fit in the trunk? This is what is holding me back, I wish it was a automatic top, but I really like the hardtop look

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Ellen,
Without the hardtop the Thunderbird is one of the best-looking and most striking convertibles on the road. With the fiberglass top on, there is no other car that can touch it for originality. I drove mine with the convertible top for about eight months, and when I put the fiberglass top back on a couple of weeks ago (it has been warm here), it was a completely unique car. There's nothing like it on the roads. A couple of people actually asked me if I had two tbirds! The fiberglass top is larger than you might think, but two people can put it on (86 pounds). Storage is a pain--but some things are worth the pain!

Ellen:

I'm a bachelor, so I don't have the needed assistance of a second person to help remove the hardtop. I purchased an electric hoist from Emil at EZ Top. It's designed especially for the T-Bird hardtop and has made top removal and replacement a piece of cake! I love convertibles, but I think the T-Bird is a prettier car with the hardtop on, so the hoist gets plenty of use.

Jim

Ellen:
I also have an EZ Top. I can have the hardtop on/off the Bird in under 10 minutes.
It was easy to install with a drill and hand tools. It's a good investment if you don't have storage space for the top, or if you, like Captjim, you don't have another person to assist you with removal/replacement of the top.
It's a fun car with lots of "WOW" appeal.
Regards - - -

------------------
2002 Triple Black
Premium

I agree. Contact Emil and get EZ Top. I wouldn't be without it. It's the way to go.

Originally posted by Blueoil1:
Ellen:
I also have an EZ Top. I can have the hardtop on/off the Bird in under 10 minutes.
It was easy to install with a drill and hand tools. It's a good investment if you don't have storage space for the top, or if you, like Captjim, you don't have another person to assist you with removal/replacement of the top.
It's a fun car with lots of "WOW" appeal.
Regards - - -

For those of you who have the EZ top device...When you remove it do you leave it hanging or put inthe rack?
If you leave it hanging,what does this do to the gasketing material?

George:
I leave my hardtop hanging, since I put it on periodically. If I were to leave it off for a substantial period of time, I'd probably put it back in the factory supplied rack (to prevent any posibility of top warping). As far as the gasketing is concerned, this is never a problem with the EZ Top lift, since there are two large pads on moveable arms which swing into place on both sides of the top and allowing the pads to contact the inner surface (without touching the gasketing) of the top. A third pad is positioned on the exterior top surface to achieve balance. Sorry for the rather poor explanation for a neat device! Try looking at Emil's web site (EZ Top), and you'll see how the thing works.

Jim

Jim:
Thanks for your detailed response. It made it pretty clear. I did visit the website and the device looks pretty rigid.
I'll have to measure the garage height again.
In fact, it appears that if I buy one I would have to "back into the garage", hang the top and drive out. That is if I left it hanging.
Thanks again and all the best,
George

My 2004 Merlot did not come with the top storage rack. I would like to build my own. Would someone please provide the measurements from their OEM rack? Thanks!

I have a lift.This was the best investment i made for my Bird.I am in Prescott Valley Az. My hard top spends most of its life safely up above, out of the way.I have pictures of it on my post. Good luck when you get your new toy.

I have a lift but having it hanging up there makes me nervous so I still put it on the stock rack where it takes up way to much of my garage space, still it’s better than having in fall on me or the car.

Yes - I don't want to hang it from the ceiling I'm looking for the OEM rack dimensions so I can build my own rack.
Anyone?

I bought that top carrier. The carrier itself was easy to assemble and works nicely. The dust cover was another story. It comes nowhere close to fitting the top, and is made of some type of paper, and tears very easily. I ended up throwing a car cover I had sitting around over mine.

I bought that top carrier. The carrier itself was easy to assemble and works nicely. The dust cover was another story. It comes nowhere close to fitting the top, and is made of some type of paper, and tears very easily. I ended up throwing a car cover I had sitting around over mine.
I don't have an enclosed garage--only a carport--so I had to come up with something to protect the top while it's on the rack. It's out of the rain, but still can get damp, dusty, and bugs.

I bought a vinyl mattress cover with a zipper at Target for around $10. The full size just fits--thought I might need a queen but the full just slid over it. Got a neighbor to help me with the lift and slide part. Hung a DampRid bag inside and zipped it up. Seems to be holding up well.

Who has a reasonably priced top lift? I would like to store my 57s top on a lift above the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back