What is the "open area" below the radio in the 2002 T-Bird ?

VolleyballJIM

VolleyballJIM

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
There is a curved panel below my radio (in all t-birds) that is "unused". I think I've seen some interiors where something is located there, but most just have a curved plastic panel that yields to the shifting area. Anyone know what could be there (can you put a small storage insert there)?

I'll try and find a photo to post...

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

In the 2003 - 2005 that is where Ford placed the seat warmer switches.. Perhaps seat warmers were no invented in 2002 or Ford figuguerd during the 2002 season, a hot bod was a seat warmer... The only problem with that theory is my seat never gets warm.. Sorry couldn’t resist.. :

Steve, there has to be a fix, my seat has two heated settings, hot and hotter.
I suggest some debugging on your bird.
I with there was a temp dial like on VW or staged settings like on The MKX

Steve, there has to be a fix, my seat has two heated settings, hot and hotter.
I suggest some debugging on your bird.
I with there was a temp dial like on VW or staged settings like on The MKX

My jokes are getting bad.. I have a 2002 also so no heated seats for me.. The only heat on my seat (which ever one I'm sitting in) is after I set my wide body bottom on there for 15 minutes.. :) As a side note, boy I have them in my daily driver's and I hardly ever use them unless it's below 0 degrees.. My better half has them on telepayhathicly from 3 miles and 30 minutes before we ever get in the truck or car.. I don't think she will ever buy a vehicle with out them..

There is a curved panel below my radio (in all t-birds) that is "unused". I think I've seen some interiors where something is located there, but most just have a curved plastic panel that yields to the shifting area. Anyone know what could be there (can you put a small storage insert there)?

Here is the slot I was referencing:View attachment 2964

Hi Jim, That is a plastic transition--cosmetic. It has 8 cubic inch space under it. You can carefully pry it off--be careful as the fasteners are plastic. It hides mounts for the council between the seats.

My jokes are getting bad.. I have a 2002 also so no heated seats for me.. The only heat on my seat (which ever one I'm sitting in) is after I set my wide body bottom on there for 15 minutes.. :) As a side note, boy I have them in my daily driver's and I hardly ever use them unless it's below 0 degrees.. My better half has them on telepayhathicly from 3 miles and 30 minutes before we ever get in the truck or car.. I don't think she will ever buy a vehicle with out them..
Heated seats are nice, heated and cooled is nicer (our mere mortal car has those) but the real luxury (also on our mere mortal car) is a heated steering wheel for those cold mornings.

That panel gets the heated seat switches.

Heated seats are nice, heated and cooled is nicer (our mere mortal car has those) but the real luxury (also on our mere mortal car) is a heated steering wheel for those cold mornings.

My daughter just leased a Jeep Compass and she has the heated steering wheel.. I took her Jeep to fill it up (one of those things that this dad does ) and I have to say on that cold 24 degree day, it was nice to have it.. I usually hate wearing gloves..

Hi Jim, That is a plastic transition--cosmetic. It has 8 cubic inch space under it. You can carefully pry it off--be careful as the fasteners are plastic. It hides mounts for the council between the seats.

What, please, is the “council?”

My daughter just leased a Jeep Compass and she has the heated steering wheel.. I took her Jeep to fill it up (one of those things that this dad does ) and I have to say on that cold 24 degree day, it was nice to have it.. I usually hate wearing gloves..

I have the heated seats and heated steering wheel in my Lincoln MKX, and when it is -24 degrees centigrade, it is terrific. It gets cold here in Almonte, Ontario,Canada.

Back