What did you do to your Tbird today? 2002-2005

02thunderbirdht

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
I've seen these threads on many other forums I'm apart of. Don't know if it would be as active here, but figured I would start the thread. If there is already one going, let me know.

So, what did you do to your Tbird today?

I'll start. Put the hardtop on it Sunday since we've got a week of mid 80's. Drove it to work yesterday and today. I must say, I enjoy this car so much. It's an awesome ride that gets tons of looks and is an awesome cruiser.

:)MODERATOR NOTE: See this thread for top Aftermarket Performance Parts Upgrades

Last edited by a moderator:
Well mine is a daily driver. I drove it over to my buddies house with the top down of course. I decided today was the day to do COP and plugs. After cooling the engine, we got started. It was a much easier process than I thought. The rear cover bolts were the hardest part to remove. A prior owner must have changed them once as they were not Motocraft parts. The whole thing from beginning to end took about 90 minutes. We also cleaned the throttle body and the MAS. After buttoning it back up, I noticed I had a little more power and no hesitation from stopped.

I then took the car over and had an oil change and had the fuel filter replaced. Once I got home, I gave the car it's weekly bath. It was the perfect day to drive around, lots of sun and a nice 75 degrees.

1271_66a30a03d555159a40f18042579757e3.jpg
Our 2002 Torch Red D3 T-bird sleeping..

1272_1f43a85c3f4be51194ae10ecd03aa5df.jpg
For you southerner's, that's a matching Torch Red Snow blower at the ready

1273_5abe8267def6affdad53cf24d86d5b7f.jpg
Oops, a nipple slip.. :)
The middle of February in Central New York.. We had the ever faithful prognostication from Punxsutawney Phil just 2 weeks ago, again, like clock-work, he saw his shadow on a cloudy snowy day in PA. And predicted 6 more weeks of winter... I think he went Hollywood and the only reason he sees his darn shadow every year is from the beaming 5000 watts Arie Lights that floods the area for cameras... That being said, our T-bird is still nestled in it's sleeping quarters waiting for about the middle of April, when around here, all the sweet rides start to emerge from hibernation, yes, right now we get one day in the 40's and 5 in the 20's.. But the days are getting longer, the sun higher on the horizon, we are getting there.

FYI I tried to post this (above ) from my ipad, but when I upload the photos they were upside-down.. So I tried it again from my computer.. Sorry for the repetition and use of bandwidth.. I just wanted to make it correct.. For some reason whenever I post photos taken with the ipad, they are correct on the ipad but end up upside down when uploaded..

Changed oil, replaced upper ball joint dust cover boots, swapped out the cluster sending the original out, odometer display blanks out randomly. Prepped to replace carrier bearing next week, drive shaft is a pain to get to.

Today, I put in a new fuel filter! I'm glad someone here mentioned pulling fuse #4 and releasing fuel pressure first. It worked like a charm!

Reglued the carpeting in the trunk area and sat and looked at the car for a while

had the failing stock radio replaced with double din w/backup camera followed by replacing 4 main speakers (the ones behind the seat are ridicules 3 inch)with 5x7 added a real sub,disconnected the hidden subs and the console speakers as well as they were mushy up loud

Just bought an 02 with 121K miles. Been fixing things this week. Replacing old headlights, replacing missing intake cover fasteners, replaced shifter light, recharged A/C, replacing trunk shocks, lowered trunk latch, chasing a few noises, some paint touch up, gonna need new tires soon, spare exploded, etc. They are pretty cars but that's where it ends. 2002 TBird.jpg

The hardtop ceiling hoist arrived yesterday. Today I got it secured to my garage ceiling. Tomorrow, with the help of a friend, the hardtop comes off. I believe it will be the first time since the T wrench was still in the unopened plastic bag! I have been wanting to get the convertible top stretched out and learn how to operate it. I'll let you know how it progresses tomorrow.

Popped the top. Detailed interior, treated leather seats. Installed trailer hitch. Found some tail light trim rings I bought 5 years ago and found when looking in a cabinent.0408181824b.jpg 0408181824.jpg

Nice job oB! My hardtop is hanging like yours, but mine turned out to be somewhat of problem. I have a 16' ceiling and my rope was about 20' short for an easy lift. A wee bit of Irish whiskey helped ease the tension ;) Good news is, the convertible top came down fine. :) A few touches here and there and I will be very happy with the outcome. COMMON SUMMER:)
Thanks Ol, I went with electric hoist. It moves down to fast so it is hard to control. Should have went with rope and pulley, hind sight is 20\20

Got my T Bird running today, car sat for to long, fuel started going bad, and fuel pump also
went bad, blew fuse. Made a custom tool to remove fuel pump, confirmed it was bad, ordered
another pump for $86.00, emptied tank of bad fuel, installed new fuel pump, put new gas in, car
started right up. AC was a little low on R134a, added Freon, which means compressor seal must
be leaking due to age, so will have to replace compressor soon. Any way car runs great, everything
works. Car only has 11,900 miles. and has aged well.

I finished up the brake job I started yesterday. I also looked into tracking down the person(s) who thought screw in rear caliper pistons were a good idea (first car I've had that has them) and giving them a beard slap!

Took my 05 LTD to the Ford Dealership for a spare chip key. Got a number of "nice car" comments.:) Suppose to be 69° Tomorrow in Missoula, so the top comes down;)

I found out that Chemical Guys have a detail shop a few miles from my home. I have been watching their YouTube videos for years. I went there and I felt like a kid in a toy store. They have everything for detailing your car. The paint on my car was not in the best shape when I got it. Lots of swirls. I got out most of those yesterday and used a creme glaze to hide the rest.

I got their convertible top cleaner and protectant. Water now beads up on my top like the rest of the car. It's never looked so black.

here is what I did today
Capture.JPG

I use a Meguiars headlight restoration kit. I would like men housings because I see a little fog on the inside. But 24 dollars was much easier than 200. Those new ones sure look nice.

Back