What did you do to your Tbird today? 2002-2005

Slowwalker, car looks nice. How about posting a side shot, I would like to see the wheels you have on it.

Slowwalker, car looks nice. How about posting a side shot, I would like to see the wheels you have on it.
no problem ,

IMG_1006.JPG

New to the forum and I didn't see an introduce yourself thread, so I'll start here. Bought a 2004 Black Thunderbird just two weeks ago. I wanted one back in the mid-2000's when they were new, but the bad reviews scared me away. Now it's so old, bad reviews mean nothing anymore.

No after-market on it yet. I did buy a 3 year service warranty on it through the dealer. They service it, all parts and labor are on them, but with a 100.00 deductible. I probably will hold off on after-market for awhile to avoid buyer's remorse. New wheels are probably the top of my after-market wish list.

What I did today....it was my day off so I spent the afternoon waxing my Tbird.......

MyThunderbird011.png

I think those wheels look great. Very well suited to your plan.

Thanks for input. I haven't given up on trying to keep the Thunderbird logo center cap yet, I'm in no hurry. The TSW Silverstones are a plan B. I found out those smoothie wheels are a grand each. That's out of the question. I was also shocked to see those factory mags going for 500 dollars each on some sites. The Silverstones are only 220 each. Besides not liking the design of the factory mag, inside the wheel cylinder(?) I can see the chrome bubbling and peeling. Refinishing the factory mags (powder coat) is 200 dollars each.

I may put the wheels project on hold till next summer and focus elsewhere. I've checked the brushed aluminum trim dash kit. Looks good in photo, but I was wondering if anyone here installed this dash kit. Any buyer's remorse or were you satisfied with the look?

s-l640.jpg

I have the faux wood interior kit on my 2004, which I prefer because it dulls down the shiny. I drive with my top down probably 7-8 months a year so I prefer to not have too much reflecting or shining back at me. (Just an aside, I never wear a red shirt - sunlight reflects on the gauges and makes me think a warning light is on - arrgh.)
(I like the black wheels. Before you pull the trigger I would read up on all the posts about tire size, rim size and rim offset - can make a huge difference in the appearance.)
In the end - do what you like.

Update on Innova Dongle....I returned it, pretty much worthless. My bad for not researching before purchasing. Mostly all bad reviews, customers experience the same problems I did. Takes forever for it to read the car's data, more often just stuck on "loading." It says "takes up to 5 min." After 45 minutes still stuck on "loading." It defaults to canned messages on recommended maintenance. Don't need to pay 80 bucks for a device/app to just repeat what the owner's manual already says.

What I did to my Thunderbird today........Today, I had brakes inspected on the bird, some wear on the pads, but not ready to replace. I've been been pricing Powerstop performance brake rotors and pads and shopping Thunderbird caliper covers. When pads need replacing, may just do complete upgrade on brake system. At the moment, brakes are fine, but they seem a little "spongy" for lack of a better description. Not a top priority since it's not my daily driver. Photos of my bird and daily driver (Ford Ranger) in my photo album.

Today....I installed my real brushed aluminum dash kit....Part 1. It's a 26 piece set, I say part 1 because I'm doing a section at a time. Likely I will include most of it, but today I installed the center instrument cluster only. I will wait a few days to see if I prefer to stop there or continue. Photos in my album.

Attachments

• n.jpg
    n.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
I've seen these threads on many other forums I'm apart of. Don't know if it would be as active here, but figured I would start the thread. If there is already one going, let me know.

So, what did you do to your Tbird today?

I'll start. Put the hardtop on it Sunday since we've got a week of mid 80's. Drove it to work yesterday and today. I must say, I enjoy this car so much. It's an awesome ride that gets tons of looks and is an awesome cruiser.
Top before bottom after
upload_2019-10-4_22-20-35.jpeg

I've seen these threads on many other forums I'm apart of. Don't know if it would be as active here, but figured I would start the thread. If there is already one going, let me know.

So, what did you do to your Tbird today?

I'll start. Put the hardtop on it Sunday since we've got a week of mid 80's. Drove it to work yesterday and today. I must say, I enjoy this car so much. It's an awesome ride that gets tons of looks and is an awesome cruiser.
Like you, I love my 2005. I bought it about 4 months ago and I enjoy it more every time I drive it. I have had it repainted, some chrome trim added, side belt line from louvres back,Around side markers and tail light bezels. I also had a navigation system, backup camera, Bluetooth phone (touchscreen and CD) added.

I haven’t taken the hard top off yet but we are still in the high 90’s to 100 degrees here in South Texas. Come next month, the top comes off. I always get thumbs up and compliments every time I drive it. What’s sweet car it is!

Thank you, Bond. It took quite awhile, looked at a lot, I mean a whole lot of TBirds, waited and waited until I finally found what I really wanted - a black on black Thunderbird.

I do also really like the red Tbird with the white top like yours. And the white walls really complete the look. And if I couldn't find a black TBird, a red/white would be my next choice.

It has it's share of parking nicks, but the body is overall in excellent condition. The interior is in excellent condition, though the black leather buckets do show a sign of wear, but no tears or thinning of the material. Carfax report showed no accidents. 109,000 miles - I suppose that's not too bad for a 15 year old car.

The two components I dislike the most about this retro bird - the cheap looking front grille and don't care at all for those factory mag wheels. However I love the Thunderbird logo center hub. I would like to keep those on somehow with different wheels. No luck yet in finding after-market wheels that I can use those factory center hubs.

MyThunderbird012.png
My car just looks red in the photo. It’s actually called Coral and was the limited edition for 2003. Just 700 produced, more of a reddish orange. Looks like someone painted the wings gold on your center caps. This is a fairly common mod for black birds. I am now running Dayton wire wheels that I purchased used with the same mod.
46A593B4-C08B-44B8-80C9-8A1F1243185E.jpeg

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: P78
My car just looks red in the photo. It’s actually called Coral and was the limited edition for 2003. Just 700 produced, more of a reddish orange. Looks like someone painted the wings gold on your center caps. This is a fairly common mod for black birds. I am now running Dayton wire wheels that I purchased used with the same mod.
View attachment 5101

Ahh, yes, looking closer, I see it's coral color. Very nice. I bet you get a lot of compliments on that visual package.

I wasn't aware the gold eagle is not factory. Man I love spoke wheels, but high maintenance. A local custom shop offers a smoothie wheel for my thunderbird that looks like the factory center hub might snap on. I sent them an email asking if they can confirm that.

If I can't keep the factory center hubs, then I might carry the midnight black gloss theme for my Bird onto my new wheels. One of the things I really like about the retro bird is it's minimal chrome - only chrome trim accents. So I got my eyes on the TSW Silverstones - a gloss black wheel with a touch of chrome trim. Which I think ties in well with my bird's black gloss theme with minimal chrome trim. I did a photoshop to get an idea what it would look like.....

MyThunderbird013.png

By the way, I have some photoshop skills, so if anyone here wants to see their bird with some sort of mod done to it to get an idea what it would look like, post a photo of your car and what mod you want added. i.e. Wheels, two tone, etc.

• Like/Thanks
Hi, it my first post!
Today i am left Thunderbird in port for shipping to Poland.
IMG_20191011_115250.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What I did to my TBird today....serviced - oil/filter changed. The connector from the starter to battery cable was corroded. They disconnected and cleaned thoroughly. Of course, you lose memory settings. Minor issue I'm willing to reprogram to ensure good connectivity.

Also, the TSW Silverstones I mentioned above, I ordered them and they were supposed to be installed this week. Got a call from Discount Tire that they were not available until further notice. So back to ground zero shopping for wheels.

Bird is in the cage with top still down. 100 degrees about 15 days ago, 4 days rain, and tonight it will drop to 31. Low 32 next four nights. In Dixie in October! What happened to the Fall I was waiting for - nice day trips into the Tennessee hills?? :( GRRR (Should kill the dang bugs!)

Today....I installed my real brushed aluminum dash kit....Part 2. Didn't use all 26 pieces. It had some horizontal strips that go below the factory silver pinstripe trim that I particularly didn't care for and I left off the large piece that goes on the shifter/cupholder console. Just didn't like the look of it. Used the door trim and vent trims. Including the instrument panel, I wound up using about only half of the 26 piece set. Photos in my album.

Up until the rain yesterday, the past few days in So Cal have been perfect for top-down cruising around town. This week I installed the K&N Typhoon CAI and the Borla exhaust. Both fit as well they should have with the exception of the larger diameter hose to the K&N. There was no way in hell that the stock hose was going to fit, it required some McGivering... The car now breathes better and sounds as it should (IMO)! 106057A0-80ED-4C25-AFCE-C387306B0FD9.jpeg

• Like/Thanks
This weekend washed the bird and waxed her. Today was beautiful day in North Louisiana so took the bird to work with top down. On way home drove long way around so I could enjoy the weather. Looks like a few more day this coming week to enjoy as well.

Had the Bird ceramic coated, picked her up Saturday. It looks absolutely gorgeous. Took the Balboa Ferry over to the Sunday coffee & cars event then took the top off at home and enjoyed an afternoon drive. Life is good in So Cal.
304E6083-C306-4B69-A393-818DA27BD8A8.jpeg76D533FE-74BC-413A-B2E2-1919202D9B9E.jpeg

• Like/Thanks
Tweetty is in her nest receiving a bit of TLC. The smile that this car brings to myself and others is something that warms my heart.

USKWPb4HSFm-z_KwXzH-2w.jpg

1. All New suspension front and back including new spindles, upper and lower control arms and stabilizer links.
2. New rotors slotted and drilled with new yellow EBC pads and new front bearings.
3. Replace both cabin and air filter.
4. Seats pulled from car and all rust removed and repainted bolts and seat footings.
5. Deep cleaning inside and out including treating the leather seats over and over again.
6. Install an over head lift for the hard top.
7. Repair any scratches and pull one small dent from lower rocker panel.
8. Paint under car with Por 15 chasis black and silver where rust is beginning to form.
9. Repaint calipers yellow with Por 15 yellow.
10. Replace shift plate with a new one and installed a LED light.
11. Replace headlight housings and headlights with led. Removal of all bulbs marker lights, license plate light, and interior lights excluding dash lights with led bulb.
12 . Remove and replace Thunderbird script with new lettering to read Tweettybird.

Last edited:
“After” pic:
77C37338-7AC2-4BFE-A74A-FD50E7A0638B.jpeg

The rear had originally been dropped 3” in the back, 2” in front. Wasn’t practical to drive when I got it, any dip in the road at all and I’d be on the tires. H&R “lowering” springs got it halfway back to stock. Sits just right now.

Off to the dr and found, again, that the battery was dead, even with a float charger attached. So, jumped her and off to the battery store.
$130 later, a new 3 YR free replacement 750 CCA, vented battery installed. Mech noted that the old batt was 6 years old. Pretty good service.

Off to the dr and found, again, that the battery was dead, even with a float charger attached. So, jumped her and off to the battery store.
$130 later, a new 3 YR free replacement 750 CCA, vented battery installed. Mech noted that the old batt was 6 years old. Pretty good service.
I don't wait that long to replace my batteries. After 5 years the new one is installed. Just did it recently. Cranks better too.

Back