What a difference a starter makes!

Gary Tayman

Gary Tayman

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
To make a long story short, I've had my share of problems with batteries, cables, starter relays, and other related items -- again and again. Lately the starter has been so slow it almost sounds like a dead battery. Barely turns over, but it starts. So I took it to a shop to see if the latest problem is cables, relay again, or maybe the starter itself.

Turns out it needed another relay, but then the starter was incorrectly installed, the connection to it was arcing, and the starter itself was drawing three times the normal current. Now it SPINS! Never had it spin that fast. Like a whole different car! I'll take it . . .

Just one more step in the transformation from a bucket of bolts to a fine car . . .

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Is this on the '64? Someone said a while back that the 60s cars had tons of electrical issues to deal with, any truth to this from your experience?

I've had electrical issues, but not from any bad design or such. A lot of it has to do with the former owners -- typical redneck types that had another parts car on blocks in the back yard, and literally ran wiring across the floor and spliced it in places, then later from incompetent idiots who had a habit of taking my money but not really fixing anything. When I first got the car, I got another dashboard, and gutted the interior and replaced wiring and vacuum hoses with whatever belongs there.

Back