1955 Seat & Window Motor 12v to 6v Reducer

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone installed the Vintage Auto Garage 12v to 6v Seat and Window Motor Reducer on their 1955? I have converted to 12v, and I'm concerned about how fast the windows close with the original 6v motors.

Moderator Note- Check out this motor- https://ebay.us/kdhJYS

Last edited by a moderator:
The heater blower motor, the seat motors and window motors will work on 12V, but they will run very fast. The seat motor running too fast should be no problem. The heater motor running on low speed will be acceptable. The window motors will require some expertise in use in order to prevent mechanical damage, but most people don’t change them. You might use a dropping resistor in the motor ground wire circuit to drop the voltage, but I have not determined what the correct value would have to be. Maybe someone else knows. It will have to be a very high power resistor, maybe 1000 watts and it will give off some heat. I would recommend just using the window motors as they are and release the window switch before the window gets to its stop. This may take some practice, but it is easy.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Has anyone installed the Vintage Auto Garage 12v to 6v Seat and Window Motor Reducer on their 1955? I have converted to 12v, and I'm concerned about how fast the windows close with the original 6v motors.
I don't know much about car wiring but it seem that something like this should do the job...

Thanks, Jeff, for the most 55 owners, who have converted to 12v, learn to live with the fast-closing windows, etc. I might end up doing the same, but probably will put a piece of masking tape over the passenger's window switch whenever someone wants to ride shotgun. Maybe I should also post a sign, "Don't stick head out window."

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know much about car wiring but it seem that something like this should do the job...

That's a good idea... Those are speced to handle 3 amps. I don't know how much the window motors pull but I suspect they draw between 5 and 10 amps. They usually have about a 20 amp breaker. My gut feeling is they are not capable of handling the current.

That's a good idea... Those are speced to handle 3 amps. I don't know how much the window motors pull but I suspect they draw between 5 and 10 amps. They usually have about a 20 amp breaker. My gut feeling is they are not capable of handling the current.
Considering Newport recommends installing a 6-amp fuse for their electric-wiper conversion kit, I'm sure the window and seat motors draw much more.

Back