Valve Cover Gasket Oil Leak

Scratch

Scratch

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Noticed a few drops of oil on the garage floor this past weekend. Took 'Rudy' to the local performance repair shop who diagnosed the problem as a leaking valve cover gasket. The small amount of research I've completed thus far on the forum reflects this is a common problem on the '02 T-bird. I was quoted $567 to have the gasket replaced; almost all of the cost is for labor. Pretty sure the local Ford guys would charge at least twice that.

Curious who on the forum has had this repair accomplished and if my quote is reasonable...

Advice greatly appreciated...

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Noticed a few drops of oil on the garage floor this past weekend. Took 'Rudy' to the local performance repair shop who diagnosed the problem as a leaking valve cover gasket. The small amount of research I've completed thus far on the forum reflects this is a common problem on the '02 T-bird. I was quoted $567 to have the gasket replaced; almost all of the cost is for labor. Pretty sure the local Ford guys would charge at least twice that.

Curious who on the forum has had this repair accomplished and if my quote is reasonable...

Advice greatly appreciated...
I took my 2004 to Ford Dealership in July 2017 for this problem. Estimate quoted was $1739.12 to replace both gaskets including parts and labor. I declined the repair and took the car to a trusted local independent shop where the same work was performed for $487 labor plus $86.81 parts. Ford also charged me $75 (non-refundable) diagnostic fee to determine problem with the A/C system. Quote was $1967.00 to replace compressor, evaporator and expansion valve. I also declined this repair. The local independent shop checked the A/C system and determined it was only low on Freon and recharged the system for free for me. I then went back to Ford and demanded the $75 diagnostic fee be refunded. Which they did reluctantly.

I took my 2004 to Ford Dealership in July 2017 for this problem. Estimate quoted was $1739.12 to replace both gaskets including parts and labor. I declined the repair and took the car to a trusted local independent shop where the same work was performed for $487 labor plus $86.81 parts. Ford also charged me $75 (non-refundable) diagnostic fee to determine problem with the A/C system. Quote was $1967.00 to replace compressor, evaporator and expansion valve. I also declined this repair. The local independent shop checked the A/C system and determined it was only low on Freon and recharged the system for free for me. I then went back to Ford and demanded the $75 diagnostic fee be refunded. Which they did reluctantly.

Great feedback. Thanks, Rick.

Just to add my 2 cents to the thread...
I just had the valve cover gaskets done on my 2005 tbird (120k miles), local independant mechanic (Seattle). Also, put in brand new coils and plugs at the same time for no extra cost (big win!)
Labor: $400 (before tax)
Parts: $26 for gasket (on sale at rockauto), $45 for 8 new coils (amazon), $20 for 8 iridium spark plugs (amazon)
Also did a synthetic oil change for $60 (pretax)

Car runs fantastic.

My Ford dealer has always done a great job on my 2003, and doesn't charge a fortune. I do think they like working on my car because I keep it polished and it looks gorgeous (in my own unbiased opinion).
Of course we live in a more rural area, and they love their Fords down here (especially Mustangs)

My Ford dealer has always done a great job on my 2003, and doesn't charge a fortune. I do think they like working on my car because I keep it polished and it looks gorgeous (in my own unbiased opinion).
Of course we live in a more rural area, and they love their Fords down here (especially Mustangs)
The two times I took mine to the Ford dealer they always parked it out front when the work was completed. I noticed it always had people looking at it. At one dealer there was a crowd of four people asking if it was even a Ford.

Not just Ford.; all the manufacturers do it, JW. As for me, I'll take mine to my local performance mechanic. He's reasonable and does great work.

The Dealers make more money on repairs than they do on selling cars (and they make a LOT on selling cars). Repair work is a big part of their business model.

Not just Ford.; all the manufacturers do it, JW. As for me, I'll take mine to my local performance mechanic. He's reasonable and does great work.
Yes, find an independent garage/mechanic with a track record of knowledge, honesty, and treating customers fairly.

I agree with going to a good independent shop, have had a couple thing done to my 03 by one that has done good work for me in the past. Many good dealer techs used to go out on there own after working for the dealerships, so they know these older cars and worked on them when they were new.

Back