Vacuum Line Connectors, 1957 T-Bird

BudP

BudP

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am replacing a combination fuel and vacuum pump on a 312 engine (1957) . The vacuum lines attach to the top of the fuel/vacuum pump with rubber tubing. The rubber tubing on my vacuum lines is very stuck on the outlets of the fuel/vacuum pump. I would cut them off like an old radiator hose but I can find no replacements in any of the major supplier's catalogs. Should I cut them and get some tubing from a Lowes or Home Depot, or, is there a technique to loosening them from the fuel/vacuum pump.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

BudP,

Grab the hose with a pair of pliers and twist. That will break loose any rubber hose that is stuck.

Don't reuse them, they will not seal a second time. Take the old hoses and cut them in half where the hose has not been expanded by the nipple on the pump. Go to an auto parts store with the pieces and get quality(Gates) vacuum line hoses.

If the other vacuum hoses are old and brittle, it's a good time to replace them all. Heater and bypass and radiator hoses as well.

Lood luck,
Steve

Great! Thanks Steve for the solid advice.

A good NAPA store usually carries different size vacuum hoses. They can get you what you want most of the time. I use them quite exclusively for vacuum hose, fuel hose, and Power Brake Booster hose which is 11/32.” Dia. By the way never use fuel line hose for the vacuum hose especially where the Power Brake Booster is concerned. They will collapse as I have experienced.

Rom-Thanks for the information.

Back