V6 to V8 swap

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.

87TbirdRacer

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
I'm new here and own an 87 Thunderbird V6.I'm looking for more performance and want to drop in a V8 (either a 5.0L 302 or a 351 Windsor) and want to know how hard it would be to swap in a V8 in place of the V6.I will also be changing transmissions.Any help would be appreciated.

Since the '87 came with a 302, the swap would be extremely easy. A matter of ripping out the 3.8 and dropping in the 302, with all the original wiring harnesses from the first. As for the 351, I know quite a few people who have done this. I'm not sure of the similarities between the 302 and 351, so I can't tell you if it's as easy. If you plan to go carb, it will be easier yet, though.

Transmision. I'll have to direct you to http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/index.php? as I'm not to sure about the work to be done there. Rest asured, someone there has done it before, or helped someone else swap a manual for a slushbox. (I assume you're going T5) Besides, we'd be more than happy to have a new member there as well.

i will second what oldraven said. but will add that the install between a 302 and 351 are pretty much the same. s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back