1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice

Upsized tires on 17 in rims

Discussion in '2002 - 2005 Ford Thunderbird' started by DL1834, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Does anyone have experience with using larger tires? I have search prior threads with no luck for a solid answer. I want to put white walls on the 17 inch rims without putting out massive amount of money for them. I found 225-60-R17
    The diameter of the tire changes from the stock 26.3 to 27.6 with sidewall changing to 4.6 to 5.3. I don't seem to see anything out there that shows the limitations of the 02-05 wheel allowances.

Skizix Savage and Tee for 2 like this.
  2. Johnvins

Johnvins Well-Known Member Lifetime Donor

When I was a teenager, I would go to the garage and get old tires and have them mounted. I wanted to see what the clearance was, even drive around to see it it scraped the inner wheel well. I would push it to the limit going up to the biggest tires that fix comfortable, on my '70 Cuda, before I actually made a purchase.

Skizix Savage likes this.
  3. LOL and if I was a teenager again I'd do that!

Skizix Savage and Elaineinwa like this.
  4. vinnie

vinnie Aways Learning Lifetime Donor

I dont see how the diameter increases as stock width is 235mm and yours would be only 225mm?
    Maybe I'm not reading it right?

Skizix Savage likes this.
  5. I attached a pdf of the calculated value changes.

Attached Files:

Tee for 2 likes this.
  6. Xssive

Xssive Active Member Platinum Donor

The aspic ratio changed from 50 to 60 and that is your sidwall.

7. DrSarabi

DrSarabi Well-Known Member Gold Donor

The larger circumference tire would probably fit in the wheel well, so long as the new wheels have the same offset.
    Your speedometer will read lower than you actual speed. For example if it reads 60 mph you will actually be going 63 mph.
    The taller sidewall will give a softer ride and steering. And you profile is an inch narrower so you have less contact with the road.
    When I changed to 18" wheels, I found a tire that kept the circumference within .1 of the original. The sidewalls were shorter, but it really improved the handling performance. It rides like a sportscar, not like a sedan but that is what I wanted.

8. vinnie

vinnie Aways Learning Lifetime Donor

The aspect ratio is not the sidewall, 225/235 is sidewall width in millimeters.

9. The rims I am going to be using are from a Ford Taurus SHO, I will have to determine the offset to see if it differs from the stock Tbird rims. Both are 17 inch but that doesn't mean the offset are the same.

10. Sierra977

Sierra977 Well-Known Member Lifetime Donor

Here's a tire size comparator that may be of assistance. (My car has 245/45R18 on front and 275/40R18 on rear. They are 18 inch tires mounted on Jaguar wheels to maintain correct 60 offset.)

http://rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Help us by sharing/liking this page!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!