Upper control arm nuts loosening, 1961 convertible

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
First time poster, new to the forum. I have a 1961 convertible and I live in Seal Beach, CA. Long time ford enthusiast.

I am having trouble with the large nuts (1 3/8” wrench size) on the outside of the upper control arms loosening as I drive the car. The driver side front and passenger side rear nuts loosen over time and I hear a clunk in the front indicating it’s time to tighten them again.

Does anyone have advice on solving this problem?

Rich

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi, have they ever been replaced? They normally have to be tightened together using a wedge between them so you can get the arm centered before torque wenching them. Due to the access and nut size - a right pain! Just replaced all my front suspension and the originals were pretty tight, not driven my yet as theres loads to do before then.

Thanks for the reply.

I rebuilt the front end a year ago and spaced them properly before reinstallation. At least I think I did it right!

All the front suspension parts have been replaced and I did a front disk brake conversion at the same time.

I wonder if the A arm is worn at the point the nuts enter the sides and there is not enough friction to keep them from turning?

Presume you replace the whole upper arm bush ''bar'' and its ends? They seem to almost screw into the A arm, hopefully someone else can offer advice as I'm still a newbie!

I solved the problem. I took the front suspension completely apart and replaced the steering components, the ball joints and the upper control arm pieces on both side. I discovered the 1 3/8 inch headed nuts were on so tight that the upper A arms were not pivoting freely and I believe that binding was causing them to work their way loose.

After I put it all back together, I had the front end realigned and it now rides smoother and straighter than it has in many years.

I called Don at Birds Nest in OR for all the parts I needed and was very helpful as usual. Those guys have always been there for me. I highly recommend them.

Next I will be installing heavy duty sway bars front and rear. I can’t wait

Rich

I solved the problem. I took the front suspension completely apart and replaced the steering components, the ball joints and the upper control arm pieces on both side. I discovered the 1 3/8 inch headed nuts were on so tight that the upper A arms were not pivoting freely and I believe that binding was causing them to work their way loose.

After I put it all back together, I had the front end realigned and it now rides smoother and straighter than it has in many years.

I called Don at Birds Nest in OR for all the parts I needed and was very helpful as usual. Those guys have always been there for me. I highly recommend them.

Next I will be installing heavy duty sway bars front and rear. I can’t wait

Rich
Good news then, think mine seems relatively stiff, they are torqued to the book but you can push them up or down though the will stay where out and not just drop. Did yours after the work just drop loose are are they still relatively firm - not binding!!

The front end now pushes down easier, and springs back better. it restores back to ride height easily. Much smoother operation.

The front end now pushes down easier, and springs back better. it restores back to ride height easily. Much smoother operation.
Just looked back at what I wrote - makes little sense - note to self, don't respond to posts from a mobile phone as it changes words to make no sense!!! Ok so were the upper arms after the re-build loose (before the spring is fitted) - would they drop down under their own weight or stay in place?...does that make sense?
What I have noticed is whilst up on jack stands, the hub was very difficult to turn by hand until I jacked the hub upwards. Presume this is just the angle??

Back