Upgrade shocks on '64 Tbird

H
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Can anyone provide input or experience on upgrading the shocks for my '64 Tbird? Currently on factory originals. would like to reduce the float a bit without ruining the ride.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Can anyone provide input or experience on upgrading the shocks for my '64 Tbird? Currently on factory originals. would like to reduce the float a bit without ruining the ride.
I have heard the air ride on bags is the way to go, not cheap but amazing ride!

Not sure if you can use air shocks on the front (if they are available), just brought some for the rear of my 62.

If you're on factory originals then any new shock will yield a better ride. I've gotten bitten by the Bilstein bug. I've used them in 5 or 6 vehicles and love them. They're darn expensive but I haven't had a single issue with them. In the past I would use what ever cheap shock the discount vendors sold, they are not worth the savings in terms of comfort, safety or longevity.

There kits for front air bags. I made this mod about 2 years ago. The ride is better. It was a bolt together job.

Big issue is getting the springs out. I did it in the driveway with a kit I made using hardened steel acme threaded rod, some bearings, and cast spacing plates. Worked very well. There is a ford kit that I have seen pictures and actually found a part number. But I searched for more than a year and couldn’t find one at any price- this the home made kit. Thes springs are beasts!

I mad the change beacause my car is a Frankenstein bought out of a junk yard- somewhere in the past the 390 was changed out for a 351 w. Being 600 pounds lighter the front end sat very high like the car was about to take off. Read a lot about cutting springs etc. in the end I decided on the air bags.

The air bags are adjustable with a switch inside the car where the pressure can be adjusted and the car raised and lowered(the lower stance is really cool).

You can see the small compressor and air tank mounted in the normal spot for window washing eqpt, the red lines are the air tubing.

The other photo is the spring kit. Basic steps are remove the shock, put a bearing plate in the spring, bearing plate on top of the shock tower, acme rod through the plates, bolts and bearing top and bottom. After the setup turn the bolt on the shock tower and compress the spring, the upper control arm is held in place by pressure so it falls away after significant compression. Decompress the spring and it falls right out. Do not stand at the side of the wheel well but rather at the front of the car when removing the spring.

Attachments

• 2FDE9D87-C49A-403A-B964-956D0E2ACA6B.jpeg
    2FDE9D87-C49A-403A-B964-956D0E2ACA6B.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 95B2F654-8CF1-4697-A741-3777505F7707.jpeg
    95B2F654-8CF1-4697-A741-3777505F7707.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 2
You could also consider a larger sway bar on the front and adding a rear sway bar. That will reduce lean in the turns which might be part of what feels like float. I did that to my '69 Galaxie and it was a huge improvement.

Hi all. Wanted to share some of the original Ford advertising for the series 4 T Birds. For anyone concerned about the handling characteristics of these heavy boats, relax, you're not driving, you're "Thunderbirding" or as one of these ads says, "People who Thunderbird move in a special atmosphere":). Enjoy

Attachments

• T Bird advertising.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
Yes, it's not a hot rod!

I prefer to call it a "Boulevard Cruiser".

Classy, not sassy.

I have one of the original "Luxury Brochures" from the showroom, Navy Blue, full colour, Parchment paper and the feature car in the center fold is the same Caspian Blue as mine.

Gord

Last edited:
If you're on factory originals then any new shock will yield a better ride. I've gotten bitten by the Bilstein bug. I've used them in 5 or 6 vehicles and love them. They're darn expensive but I haven't had a single issue with them. In the past I would use what ever cheap shock the discount vendors sold, they are not worth the savings in terms of comfort, safety or longevity.

Where did you find a listing for front and rear Bilstien shocks for a 1966 Thunderbird?
I have looked high and low and can not find Bilsien, Koni or even KYB shocks for the front of a 1966.
I did find a really nice set up from Viking industries. Coilover for the front and fully adjustable ride height and agjustable jounce and rebound dampening on front and back shocks. Kinda pricey for me right now but looks like a really good set up.

I have never heard of those style shocks, the Bilstein.

CAUTION!!! This post is full of OPINIONS. :eek::D:):confused:

@BlueBird, you're probably not going to find any catalog shocks made by the upper-end guys for the '64-'66 Thunderbird. IIRC, and I could be wrong, the rear shocks are unique. At first we tried the usual suspects like Auto Zone, Advanced and O'reillys and every rear shock they gave us was too short. Their inventory systems are complete bull pucky for classics. In the end, we purchased from either Macs, before the takeover, or Pat Wilson. It was definitely a T-bird specific vendor and I believe the shocks were just black with no labels of manufacturer. We put those shocks in before I learned about Bilstein and I must say that we are satisfied with them. I know some of shock companies tell you how to measure for their products. The other way would be to find a part # from major manufacturer like Monroe and then call up Bilstein or Koni and see if they can cross reference. My personal opinion is to stay away from KYB, the cheaper Gabriels, or any shock cheaper than $20 per wheel; most definitely, do not use Monroe Load Handlers or air shocks. Air shocks work fine when sized properly and with good springs but unless you have a level ride setup they aren't worth the cost or trouble when compared to a good shock. I am not referencing air bags here, just air shocks. 64RM's air bag setup is a different animal and is really cool.

@Dj-Dan I think Bilstein is a German company. IMO, the Bilstein shock has great ride quality and longevity but at a cost, figure around $80 a wheel. On a scale of 1-10, I would put them 1 point higher than Koni, 3 points higher than a generic Monroe or Rancho and like 4 points higher than a KYB. For me, KYB is an ok performance shock with bad ride quality.

I should mention that I've used Bilstein on our daily driven trucks, suvs, and moderate performance cars from the 60's and 70's BUT not on our T-bird. It is my opinion that they offer the best compromise of ride quality and performance. Some will say that they are over priced and over kill for a daily drive. Every one has an opinion and many are valid. Asking what's the best shock is kinda like asking about colors, everyone sees a different shade of the same color. I'm not well off financially but I am comfortable and have no kids so I can afford to blow and extra $40 a shock. If price is a concern then I totally recommend Monroes or whatever the better T-bird vendors are selling for a daily driver. On a side note, my brother just purchased a redesigned front suspension kit that replaces the king pins with ball joints for his 51 Ford and surprisingly the kit came with the same Bilstein front shocks that I have in my '79 Trans Am.

Last edited:
Ford5of5
That's a good idea to try and cross reference the part number.
My shocks that came with the car were absolutely shot so I installed a set of Gabriel or Monroe on the front (I don't remember). They are 100% better than what I had and are acceptable for ride and control.
After reviewing collapsed and extended lengths of OE shocks I found a pair of Bilsteins in my garage from a Volvo 740 I wagon that I used to own that are within 3/4 of an inch correct on travel.
I have not tried them yet. Im not sure about the lower mounting eyelet diameter. But, since they are free and close to correct length I'm going to give them a shot this weekend.
I'm in the SF east bay and the smoke from the recent fires makes it tough to be outside for a long time.
God bless the firefighters and victims of the fire.

Back