Trunk won’t open on 1966 convertible

Trunk won’t open on 66 convertible. I hear the motor and smelled smoke.
Albert, enclosed some info that maybe can help you to solve your problem

Attachments

• ToAlbert.pdf
    99.6 KB · Views: 11
  • TBirdDak18_21.pdf
    727.7 KB · Views: 12
  • TBird_482_1200x1200.pdf
    8.2 MB · Views: 8
  • TBirdDak_480_PowerTop_Overzicht.pdf
    310 KB · Views: 9
Trunk won’t open on 66 convertible. I hear the motor and smelled smoke.
We restore Thunderbird and Lincoln conv. systems and parts. Sound like the unlocking screws are not unlocking the rear deck. You need to disable the screws by removing the bolts under the rear wheel wells. If the rear deck will not open then you have to release the bottom attachment bolts holding the deck cylinders and lift up the rear deck manually. Then you lock for the problems. If I can be of any further help please contact me. Jim.

Can’t open trunk. All I hear is motor turning and it started smoking after a bit.
trunk is still closed.
how can it be opened.?

Where are you located??
There’s a guy in NH that is a genius with those trunk/top issues??

look at shop manual on how to open it from below. look at YouTube t birds by nick on how to put switches in glovebox or ashtray to prevent this from happening in the future. look at vintage thunderbird repair on YouTube.

If you are in the New England area, I suggest you contact Mark Melaragni who is in Dunstable Mass. 978 512 9150. He repairs and rebuilds, TBird convertible mechanics and I believe Lincoln and Ford retractibles. He went through my 65 top when I lost a relay with the lid up. Fortunately the top was up and all I had to do was disconnect the hydraulic cylinders to get the trunk lid down and then make sure that it would not open accidently while driving. Good luck.

Back