Trico's Hydro-wiper motor

Pertti Harkonen

Pertti Harkonen

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi everybody and greetings from Spain.
I'm a new member here. A year ago I bought 1971 Thunderbird 2d HT from the states. The car came in very reasonable condition and I've been fixing it to be at least # 2 level. Obviously 71 TB is not that popular collectors car yet and therefore some spare parts seem to be more difficult to find than for the older models. Few things have really giving me a headache, one is the Trico's Hydro-wiper motor. To the best of my knowledge this particular motor has been in 68, 69, 71 and part of the year 70 TBs and Lincoln Mark III's as well. I've spent a lot of time with Google to find out a rebuilt motor or a company who could service it, but without luck.
Could anybody help me with this problem, please?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Thanks for your advice 70Tbird.
When I got the car from USA I was sure that the wiper motor needs to repaired or replaced as there were lots of notes made by the previous owner. Well, since I didn't find any service I decided to open the motor by myself and see how it's supposed to work. I realized that those wheels inside the motor that actually turn the wiper arms go clockwise until the limit and then counterclockwise to the limit on other side and that in turn makes the wiper arms to move up and down. I thought that there is a good possibility that wiper arms have been set wrong and the wheels in the motor haven't reached the turning point when the arms were already on lower limits. I put the motor back and took out the wiper arms and BINGO, worked just nicely. The only real problem that remains is the spring which closes the valve. It's a bit tired and sometimes you can't stop the wipers easily. I'm going to put a washer or two on the bottom of the spring and I'm sure that plays the trick. Basically I think that the motor is very reliable and smart invention and not many things can no wrong with it. I'm sure it works now next 44 years without a problem.

image.jpeg Hello everyone here, I m new on this forum, and as a 2 doors hardtop 70 Tbird driver in France, I first wish to thank you for links and tips you wrote on this site.
I m looking for window seals, mine are leaky and car is not waterproof. Any idea?
Regards.
Arno

Back