Transporting 1965 Hardtop

TruckGuyVA
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I've inherited a 65 Tbird and need to tow it from Michigan to Virginia. Anyone have experience with the right car carrier trailer to pull this off? I'm towing with a 2017 F-150 V8 SuperCrew 4x4.

I believe I'm reading that the car weighs 4400 lbs, and is 77" wide. Car carrier trailers seem to be just a bit too small for this...

What's anyone else done to move your car? :)

Thanks
Greg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

We've had good luck using Uship.com. We used them for 4 cars and had different transporters each time. They were terrific 2 out of 4, good for 1 and just ok for the the fourth. None were bad. Overall Uship experience was pretty good.

On a side note, Uhaul would never let me rent a car tow trailer. Either my 1500 4x4 or 2500 ext. cab was too small or the car being towed was too large. I think it helps if you know someone that works there.

I bought my 63 bird and put it on Car trailer. Drove it up on there myself. I had to climb out the window because the trailer axle / wheel and covers blocked the door. Towed about 65 miles. I followed the trailer and it did great. Truck was a GMC dont remember size but it was larger one. Maybe a 2500 - I think my bird is as heavy as yours. Just my 2 cents. It can be done. Just take it easy.

@ bulletbird, did you rent the car trailer at Uhaul? I only ask because others tell me they've used Uhaul trailers. It must be me giving them too much information. I've been told that Uhaul's aluminum car haulers are 2-3 inches inches wider than the steel ones and that you can remove the wheel wells but don't quote me on that, it's second hand info.

Uship.com, let the pros do it.
4 times great results.
Lower stress.

@ bulletbird, did you rent the car trailer at Uhaul? I only ask because others tell me they've used Uhaul trailers. It must be me giving them too much information. I've been told that Uhaul's aluminum car haulers are 2-3 inches inches wider than the steel ones and that you can remove the wheel wells but don't quote me on that, it's second hand info.

Sorry for the late response. No I got a guy with trailer from Craigslist that had good reputation and had pics of much bigger vehicles than mine. U haul never wanted to rent to me because of the vehicle I was towing with. They seem to be very strict with who they rent too. I have always been a do it yourself guy and up for a challenge. I could find out what size trailer it was if that would help. Let me know

Probably too late to be of use but I just pulled a 66 convertible (4700#) from North Carolina to Maryland 460 miles using a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder rated at 6000# towing capacity and an EZE tow dolly with surge disc brakes rated at 5000# capacity. Turned out there was a guy 4 miles from our hotel who advertised the dolly on Craigslist. Bought the dolly and then the car. Of course had to remove the driveshaft but that was no big deal. Had no issues at all and was really surprised at how well the rig did. I was east of the BlueRidge mountains and followed highways that skirted the mountains; i.e. I didn't have mountains or any other major grades to deal with. I bought the dolly for the $ quoted to ship the car and figured that the reduced gas mileage I got towing the t-bird amounted to about $50 extra. When braking hard the t-bird did fishtail and the oscillations weren't good but just meant that I had to be very careful and leave plenty of room to stop. Towed at about 60 mph. Overall very pleased with my decision.

Just picked up a 65 and brought it home last weekend. We rented a car trailer from Buttrey Rental Services in IL (not sure if they have locations elsewhere). Rental was $109 after damage insurance for a 24 hour period. The trip was ~98 miles, it was a tough one to winch up and tie down (the trailer didn't have wheel straps), but no issues after it was loaded. We pulled with a F250, steady 55-60mph.

Congratulations on acquiring the '65! These are heavy cars, around 4400 pounds for the hardtops I believe.

The people at Uhaul are fucking idiots. I towed my 1969 Thunderbird on one of their car trailers NO PROBLEMS. You need to explain to them the actual vehicle weight and size, and believe you me the 69 is a much bigger bird than the 64. I also pulled with with a 2004 Ford expedition. So long as your vehicle has 5000+lb towing capacity (most full sized are around 8000lbs combined) then you are fine. Again you need to be pretty specific with them as they follow some stupid computer program.

Back