Transmission shifting rough 2004 Thunderbird

Tboy
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just started today. Jumps hard in reverse and drive, downshifts hard. Car has 86K. Any ideas? Strange it should start all at once, no warning...

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Well, check fluid level of course. Also, I would guess there's a vacuum line running down to a modulator on the tranny, perhaps that could be dodgy?

Just started today. Jumps hard in reverse and drive, downshifts hard. Car has 86K. Any ideas? Strange it should start all at once, no warning...
There is no dip stick to check fluid level on these Birds. You will have to take it to a trans shop for that

Transmission shifting is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module. You could have the beginnings of the module having problems or one of the solenoids on the transmission have troubles.

While you are keeping an eye on this try watching the tech. If it is increasing in RPMs but the trans. isn't shifting I think you will have a solenoid trouble.
If is electronic there will be a code recorded if no code it is mechanical.

A really good trans. shop will know just with a test drive.

I just did a fluid change. My '03 is at about 60,000. For a year or so I researched the debate on whether to do it or wait. Even my "trusted" transmission shop recommended I wait until 90,000 miles.
Ultimately I couldn't overcome the logic that fresher fluid is better than 16 year old, 60000 mile fluid and WOW, this transmission is smooth. Even on hills, I can't detect the shifts into/out of 3rd and above. I am now watching the tach to detect the shift points.
From now on I'm changing it every 10,000 miles, just for effect. I did it myself and put a plug in the pan so I can fill it more easily.
I'm not attempting to advise you on your situation, but, looking bach I would say the transmissions in all the Tbirds I've owned were "shifting hard" by comparison to now and I think a fluid change would have helped them all.
All the best

I second blubyu on this issue. My 2003 transmission started doing the exact same thing at 114,000 miles. It went from shifting with no problem to sudden jerking engagement when put in reverse and random hard shifting. When it was cool (parked overnight) it shifted just fine but then quickly went to hard shifting after warming up. I had mine rebuilt only to be told I needed a new electronic control module after the transmission was rebuilt (an additional $800). I believe it was a module problem all along. There are many module test/repair services on-line that you can send your module to for testing and repair. If you bring it to a transmission repair center make sure they check the control module first to verify that it is functioning properly. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I second blubyu on this issue. My 2003 transmission started doing the exact same thing at 114,000 miles. It went from shifting with no problem to sudden jerking engagement when put in reverse and random hard shifting. When it was cool (parked overnight) it shifted just fine but then quickly went to hard shifting after warming up. There is a lot of information on the internet about this transmission as being problematic. I had mine rebuilt only to be told I needed a new electronic control module after the transmission was rebuilt (an additional $800). I believe it was a module problem all along. There are many module test/repair services on-line that you can send your module to for testing and repair. If you bring it to a transmission repair center make sure they check the control module first to verify that it is functioning properly. Good luck!
Thanks for the info and advice. Am getting ready to take the car in for diagnosis. Do you know where the control module is located? I may try and have it tested before I take it in if it is fairly easy to locate and remove. Thanks...

I'm not positive but I was told by the transmission repair mechanic that it's behind/beneath the glove box.

All the plugs are on the engine side of the firewall, passenger side. The module comes out of the car from under the dash, behind the glove box.

My '02 lurches when shifting from park to drive. Like a racehorse out of the gate. I have to make sure my foot is firmly pressing on the brakes. Same issue, though to a much lesser degree, when shifting from reverse to drive. Otherwise, the transmission works smoothly when driving. While driving it shifts smoothly through the gears with no jolts or hesitation. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions? As there is no way on these 'Birds to check tranny fluid (thank you Ford!) Possibly related, I am getting some fluttering/pulsing during normal braking, could it be a brake issue? I'm looking for any help before I take it to my mechanic for expensive diagnosis/repairs......

My '02 lurches when shifting from park to drive. Like a racehorse out of the gate. I have to make sure my foot is firmly pressing on the brakes. Same issue, though to a much lesser degree, when shifting from reverse to drive. Otherwise, the transmission works smoothly when driving. While driving it shifts smoothly through the gears with no jolts or hesitation. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions? As there is no way on these 'Birds to check tranny fluid (thank you Ford!) Possibly related, I am getting some fluttering/pulsing during normal braking, could it be a brake issue? I'm looking for any help before I take it to my mechanic for expensive diagnosis/repairs......

I’m struggling to think of any mass produced vehicles that don’t have sealed transmissions in this day and age. All these “Thanks Ford” comments are uncalled for. That said, my 2004 has lurched hard when shifted into drive from park for the two summers I have owned it. This only seems to happen when it is first started after sitting overnight.

I don’t think there are any issues with the level of transmission fluid. I had a 2-5 solenoid replaced last year (separate issue) and had the transmission service completed while everything was apart. Essentially that encompasses new fluid and a new filter, so I am confident my fluid level is correct. The shifting is silky smooth, but that cold-start lurch continues to occur. As long as she shifts well, I will remain content.

I’m struggling to think of any mass produced vehicles that don’t have sealed transmissions in this day and age. All these “Thanks Ford” comments are uncalled for. That said, my 2004 has lurched hard when shifted into drive from park for the two summers I have owned it. This only seems to happen when it is first started after sitting overnight.

I don’t think there are any issues with the level of transmission fluid. I had a 2-5 solenoid replaced last year (separate issue) and had the transmission service completed while everything was apart. Essentially that encompasses new fluid and a new filter, so I am confident my fluid level is correct. The shifting is silky smooth, but that cold-start lurch continues to occur. As long as she shifts well, I will remain content.

My Bird does the same exact thing. I just make sure the RPM's aren't too high, and my foot is firmly on the brake, before I shift into drive, and as the engine temp rises, every shift thereafter is smooth as silk!

In my 2004, (~60k miles, daily driver), after a cold start I always have to sit for a minute and wait for the computer to take it from fast idle down to ~900 RPM (one tick below the 1) before I shift into gear.

You are waiting for that - correct?

In my 2004, (~60k miles, daily driver), after a cold start I always have to sit for a minute and wait for the computer to take it from fast idle down to ~900 RPM (one tick below the 1) before I shift into gear.

You are waiting for that - correct?
Yes sir, Exactly! My ‘02 shifts like a fine watch afterwards .

My 04 was shifting with a hicup at 80,000 miles so I had the module software updated from what was in it in 04. Since then it is smooth as glass and now turning 177,000 miles.

My 04 was shifting with a hicup at 80,000 miles so I had the module software updated from what was in it in 04. Since then it is smooth as glass and now turning 177,000 miles.

Wow! I’ll have to check into that. Even though my 02 which has 68000 on it and runs great besides the #8 cylinder misfiring. I have the coils and plugs ready to rectified that. But realizing that automobiles nowadays are just computers with wheels, a software update may just be worth the cost. Thanks!

who did your software update sounds interesting

who did your software update sounds interesting
Quality First Auto, (972) 690-5290, Richardson TX was recommended by my trusted auto tramsmission shop before any repair to trans, check the electronics.

Back