Transmission on 93 T Bird - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M
Last seen
Hi,

I've got a 1993 TBird LX 3.8 liter V6 automatic

I expect having difficulty with it at it's advanced age, but this current problem has got me wondering...Up until about 1 year ago, it's been running fine. In the past year, it's had the same problem: Throw it into drive, hit the gas, and the engine just revs for a few seconds, the car won't move. Then it'll suddently kick in and go forward. Same happens in reverse. Often, when it does kick in, the car takes off with enough force to squeal the tires (neighbors must just love me).

This same thing also happens whenever I go to take off from a stop, or whenever the brakes are used (like at lights and stop signs, that kind of thing).

Brake fluid seems ok, although the fluid has admittedly never been changed since I've had the car (I know this is probably a big no-no), and I'm ashamed of that fact. I've always been right on top of the car's needs in every other dept.

Think it's time for a new transmission? I've been driving an 05 Taurus that my Dad had but didn't want, as I don't want to strain my poor Bird. dad wants me to junk the car, but getting rid of my beloved Bird is NOT an option.

Any advice? Thoughts? I want this car to live again!!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It sounds like your transmission fluid may be low. If you've never changed it, now would be a good time to do it. It's not overly expensive (you could do it yourself) but messy. You'll need transmission fluid, filter and gasket. Capacity of the fluid is 12.5 quarts, but that's for the whole system to include your torque converter. You can drain that as well (a little harder, but still possible by all means) and then just fill it all up. You don't need to put it all in at once...just put about 8 quarts in, start it, run it through the gears (with parking brake on) and let it warm up a bit. That will fill the torque converter back up, then you can top off the rest.

There's very specific directions for checking the fluid level in the tranny, and the AOD is very picky. Too cold and the fluid will read low, too warm and it will read over full. Basically you need to drive for about 2-3 miles (not getting on it at all) and then park it and check it with the car running in park.

If that doesn't fix it, then it may be a valve body function that is going bad. That also can be replaced (like the tranny fluid change) but just takes one more step in there. Once the tranny pan is dropped, the valve body can be accessed easily. (11 or 12 bolts hold it on).

If that doesn't fix it, then you are indeed looking at a new transmission or a rebuild at the least. You're fortunate that your tranny isn't a special one. I couldn't put the tranny in your car in my T-bird and have it last longer than a month or two.

I hope this helps you out. Many times when I had issues with a delayed engaging it was due to low fluid.

*NOTE: One other thing I would do is when you change your fluid, add a bottle of Lucas Transmission additive in there. That will help recondition the seals, etc in the transmission. That may be where your problem is and that will help fix it, but it's a band aid only meant to buy you time.

Don't know if its the same problem you're having but I had a 1994 V8 Thunderbird that slipped badly going into gear and from 1st to 2nd gear. The solution was a complete transmission oil flush & change (about $90).

Thanks!!

THANK YOU so much!! I'm hoping it's something as simple as a fluid change. I'll be doing it Tuesday, will let you all know what happens. Keep your fingers crossed for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back