Transmission noise (clunk) 2005 Ford Thunderbird

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Motorman27
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I now have a Clunk sound only when shifting from reverse to park. Shifting from any other gear to park no noise, from park to reverse no noise, reverse to any gear but park no noise. Any idea of cause? Thanks.

You need to have the driveline and rear differential checked out, it could be something is worn.

I now have a Clunk sound only when shifting from reverse to park. Shifting from any other gear to park no noise, from park to reverse no noise, reverse to any gear but park no noise. Any idea of cause? Thanks.
Normally those types of clunks are driveline related, ujoints, the forward slip joint between the transmission output shaft and the driveline connection, or back at the joint to the differential. Have you had someone do the shifting and get on the ground and listen to see what the location of the sound is?

I'm not an expert in the TBird driveline but if it were any of my other cars I would say U-joint right off..

Sounds like the trans area. Don't think its u joints it's a deeper louder clunk sound. May have to get it on a lift to pinpoint it exactly. The part I'm not familiar with is why only happens from reverse to park.

Sounds like the trans area. Don't think its u joints it's a deeper louder clunk sound. May have to get it on a lift to pinpoint it exactly. The part I'm not familiar with is why only happens from reverse to park.
It happens from reverse to park because you are applying a reverse pressure on the whole drivetrain from the transmission output shaft aft from what is normal moving forward. There is a splined joint there on most rwd cars that can clunk. If it just started lubricating that slip joint with a heavy grease if it’s dry may solve the issue. If the issue look at the spline teeth to see if there are wear groove patterns. But we have unique drive shaft couplers in our driveline, go to amazon for Dorman 935-103 to see one, and one of those could be coming apart as well. A good visual with it up on jacks clunking the driveline back and forth should yield the culprit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great info thanks. I just ran the front up on my ramps but it's not high enough to scoot under. I have 4 floor Jack's but loaned out. I'll get them back and should be able to get under for better look. If that doesn't work I'll get it on a lift. Thanks again.

Since I bought the car last year the temp gauge has never moved off of Cold. Am I looking for an in line fuse issue or something else?

Thanks.

I see the dorman page, it's always better with a visual. Thanks again, medurham that's my next step. I'll post what I find.

Don't know what the three lines about the temp is about, I didn't post that

The noise could be a bad motor or transmission mount. Have someone do the shifting while you watch the engine, see if it moves/lifts up on one side. Revving it up slightly while in gear, holding the brakes firmly.

UPDATE: I was able to get the bird on a lift today. Prior to raising it up, I wanted to show my friend the situation so I put it in reverse and then back to park. Low and behold... no darn sound. 3 times, no clunk. He got in it and I raised it up, tried the reverse to park and got a little clunk noise. Inspecting the coupler I found it appeared to be in almost new condition, no cracks signs of being degraded in either front or rear. With it in park I moved the rear tires back and forth and had maybe 1/8th in. play in the shaft. As my Granddaddy used to say, nothing fixes itself. I tried several times with no noise as I heard before. Upon parking in garage I did hear a slight noise putting it in park. Any further thoughts or just monitor and see if the noticeable noise returns. Thanks for all your help.

Now that things look good by visual inspection , you can relax.
enjoy your ride!!

Thanks a lot medurham, I appreciate learning about the coupler system these cars have. Again I was surprised how good both looked (the car has 55000 miles on it) I'm thinking the slight play with the drive shaft/output shaft is normal. I'll monitor and enjoy. I'm considering selling it sometime in the future so I'll make all this info available at that time to a prospective buyer. Again, thank you and also to all you guys who offered help.

I had a clunk going from forward gears to reverse. I had it for years and it steadily worsened. My warranty company told my dealer to reset the computer...it didn't help at all. So I figured I'll just ride it until it gets worse. And when it began slipping in the 2-3, 3-4 gear changes I brought it back to my dealer.
By that time I had a new warranty company and they paid for a new rebuilt by Ford trans. I know that's a happy ending. But I did have that clunk for years.

Back