Transmission leaking from bellhousing 1988

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Dreskyi
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have an 5.0 v8 1988. I recently changed the rear main seal (RMS) and drove it all day with no problems. On the second day after the RMS change i go to pull it out the garage and the thing starts puking what looks like oil. I get under the the car and turn it on to see where the fluid is coming from. I pull the transmission cover back to take a peak at the flywheel to see if there is oil on it indicating a leaking RMS. No oil coming from the top of the transmission. I take a second look at the fluid and it is in fact very dark transmission fluid. I change the transmission filter and replace the fluid in hopes to fix the problem but it still leaks. Does anyone know what could be causing this leak coming from the bellhousing.
Attached is a 30 second video of where the leak is coming from.

Last edited:
It sounds like the front seal of the transmission to me. I believe there are 2 that can leak, the pump seal and the input shaft seal.
Good luck
Ed

Back