Transmission Fluid Refresh, 2003 Thunderbird

S
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Troublesome to work on, especially with no dip stick but if you're sure your transmission is full and just want to do some refreshing. The job can be done in the drive way over a couple of weekends.

Supplies:

Torx bit and wrench for transmission drain pan center bolt.
Metric allan wrench socket, universal joint and 3/8 drive ratchet for transmission fluid fill plug on the extension.
Jack.
Jack stand.
6 qts favorite brand transmission fluid.
Quart bottle transfer pump.
2 to 4 quart clear container that fits under the transmission, car jacked up so you can access it.
2 to 4 quarts water.
Measuring cup marked in quarters or eights.
Black or favorite color sharpie pen.
Shop towels.

Start with a quart of water, put it in the clear container.

Make a sharpie mark and label 1 qt.

Add a quarter or half quart, make a mark.

Add a quarter or half quart, make a mark and so on until you have a home made measuring jug of the capacity you desire.

Empty and dry out your container.

Drive to walmart or your parts store and get your transmission fluid and a 1 qt bottle transfer pump.

I picked up this one at Walmart under $6.5 with taxes.

Come home, park your Thunderbird and let it cool down completely.

Set your parking brake. Chock rear wheels and raise the driver side front until you and your measuring container can get to the transmission drain pan plug on the drivers side of the pan. Use your jack stand.

20200804_104630.jpg

Put the measuring container in place under the drain plug and use the torks bit and wrench to remove the center drain plug. Best to do this cold as it'll come gushing out and hot oil will make it near impossible to reinstall the center plug without getting scalded.

Watch the measuring container fill and before it gets to the level of oil you wanted to remove, put little drain plug back in the big drain plug.

Check the level in your catch pan, drain more if you like.

The level in your pan won't be super accurate but close enough because if your carefull you'll have some fluid on your hand and the rest in the measuring container.

[20200804_111035.jpg

20200804_111049.jpg

Remove the measuring container full of old fluid.

Wipe up any mess.

Lower the drivers side.

Raise the passenger side front. Use your jack stand.

On the trans extension, passenger side rear of transmission, above the exhaust and the trans mount you'll see a pipe plug.

Use a 3/8 ratchet, a u joint and appropriate hex socket to remove it. Trans fluid is now low, passenger side is up and you shouldn't see more than a few drops come out the hole when you remove the plug.

Assemble the transfer pump on you selected bottle of fluid, insert the hose into the port you just removed the Allan headed fill plug from. Pump in the same amount of oil that you just drained into your measuring container.

Using the 3/8 ratchet, u joint and allan hex bit, reinstall the pipe plug and wipe up the mess.

Remove stuff from under the car.

Lower the passenger side. Remove wheel chocks.

Put away the tools.

Go for a test drive.

A bit of effort, about 30 minutes work and saves you an expensive trip to the Ford Lincoln dealer.

You could do this several times or just change 2 or 3 quarts with every motor oil change to really keep the fluid in a fresh state.

20200804_121532.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I learned to do it this with the little nissans as the CVT's dont have dip sticks either. And I don't like being under a running car like ford requires cause all I have is jack stands. Do this one a couple times pn 2 weekends and it should keep me good to go 30k or so miles.

I don't think the little "drain" plug is really the drain plug. From what I understand that is the fill plug. You are suppose to fill the trans through the little torx plug and drain it by removing the big plug that has the torx screwed into it. This is why it has a torx screw into the big nut. There is an adapter that crews in it and allows you to fill through it. The big drain plug has a tube that sets the level in the pan.

If I read correctly, you are filling through some other side plug?

Is there a reason you decided to do this? It is my understanding the transmission is a sealed system and doesn't need service until the 90,000-100,000 mile mark. Were you having transmission issues?

Transmission oils need to be changed.
Yes, the plug on the bottom is a drain and a fill. But it is a pain to fill thru the little hole. the big plug on the back of the case is much easier.

If you want to change the filter inside the tranny you will need to remove the transmission rear mount to take off the oil pan.
I use synthetic trans oil and Lucas trans. additive.

Actually the written instructions on the trans pan says basically drain from the little plug on the pan and fill from the bigger plug on the back.

Is there a reason you decided to do this? It is my understanding the transmission is a sealed system and doesn't need service until the 90,000-100,000 hi mark. Were you having transmission issues?

75k miles. No maintenance history. No issues. Additives break down. Just preventative maintenance. I'll hit it twice more over 2 weekends and have installed mostly all new fluid. At 100k I'll go see Lincoln for a full service. With autos, 30k intervals is where I freshen fluids. Filters at 500, 50k and 100k. Keeps the trans happy. Factory sealed tranny's are in my opinion a money maker not a statement of durability.

Transmission oils need to be changed.
Yes, the plug on the bottom is a drain and a fill. But it is a pain to fill thru the little hole. the big plug on the back of the case is much easier.

If you want to change the filter inside the tranny you will need to remove the transmission rear mount to take off the oil pan.
I use synthetic trans oil and Lucas trans. additive.

Ah, I see.

And yes, I found out you have to remove the cross member the hard way..... Why Ford/Jaguar couldn't remove a bit of material off the pan or the cross member to make it slide out it's a mystery as it is just a bit tight...

I do have another question:
Just one question about the transmission. On my car the tranny shifts pretty hard when the engine is cold. Once it heats up it shifts fine. What does everyone think this could be the result of?
Thanks

It may be a sticky valve. I use synthetic fluid and Lucas transmission Trans. Additive

Does the 2004 transmission have a drain plug on the converter?

Back