• Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ericscottporras

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone know a specific trailer hitch that will work on a 2002 convertible?
I have looked everywhere for a 24705 but have been unable to locate one.
Is there any other hitch that will work?

Here's some info that others have found:
"Some times you can find them on a Google search; from Draw-Tite 24705 or equivilant.
Or try the auction site. They show up occasionally

Or shop for a Lincoln hitch. Especially for an LS

Others have used any year Winstar.

At one time I believe U-Haul made the equivilant to part number 24705.

If needed, the Ford part number for the Thunderbird wiring harness is 1W6Z15A416AAitch. But the Ford wiring part is very expensive. You can buy a "low-side switch" for a Ford Windstar for a lot less money from a trailer supply store. The trailer lights will not work properly without this switch.

Finally one person had bought two from Hitchweb. and said you also need the Part #56195 which is the Negative Switching Power Converter to make the trailer lights work with the T-Bird. The tel. # is 800 300-4067."

I hope something here works for you. :cool:

To add to George's post I seem to recall hearing that some of the hitches require the bumper to be cut and there may be one that doesn't. Will try to confirm.

John; That would be interesting to know. I don't recall any being cut or how they do it, and how visible it would be.

Do either of you happen to have a picture of what it looks like after it's been installed? My friend owns a body shop and can weld one on but we need to see what it like like after it's been cut and I can't find a picture anywhere online.

I do not, but maybe 3rd bird does

Eric:
By now, you should have a trailer hitch. If not, there is one on the auction site.
Do a search for a 2003 Ford Thunderbird Custom Travel Trailer. And you'll get both the hitch and TBird Trailer. Very nice

Last edited:
I do not, but maybe 3rd bird does

Eric / George,

Sorry for the delayed response. I've attached some material that may help. One is the hitch installation instructions for the T-Bird and the other for the Lincoln including Draw-Tite part numbers. Also, attached are pictures of the notch cutout on the facia. It's a little hard to see but should give you an idea. I know someone who added spacers to where the hitch mounts to the car as to clear the facial and avoid cutting.

Regards,
John.

Attachments

• Thunderbird hitch #24705.pdf
    158.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Lincoln LS Hitch #36282.pdf
    220.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Notched Facia.jpg
    Notched Facia.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Notch Cutout Template.jpg
    Notch Cutout Template.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 30
John: Just like many other members this guy ERIC does not reply.

I just do not understand why people do this. It's been going on for some time now.
A few months ago I spent 5-6 hours trying to get another member an answer, then posted it, and got no reply.
Maybe it's time to stop trying to help. BTW I have complained about guy's like Eric before and never got anything back--------------------SAD!! There's about 9-10 mof them out there somewhere. Ever notice many do not even post their State[

Answers Help Others too:

George:

Thanks for responding even if you did not get the recognition from the original poster. Please be assured your answers will help others, like me, who may wish to add this feature to the car so I can add a bicycle rack to the hitch.

MktHunter

Thank you so much and have a good Holiday Season :)

By the way, I am pleased that I can help others out .--- What bothers me most is when I try to help a specific person and they do not have the courtesy to respond, that it helped or didn't all. It makes me wonder if they are even reading these responses and why I go to the effort to respond at all, sometimes.

Last edited:
John,
thank you very much for the help! That is exactly what I needed and have been unable to find. I didn't realize that anyone else had responded to this thread because my notifications were getting sent to my spam inbox. I wouldn't have even realized you had helped out had I not looked into my spam inbox for something else.
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Eric

George,
I'm sorry that other members don't give you the praise you obviously so desperately seek. If you had paid closer attention to my thread you would have noticed that there was at one point an open dialogue between me and those helping, your comments do not apply to me.

Eric

Eric: You said, "George,
I'm sorry that other members don't give you the praise you obviously so desperately seek. If you had paid closer attention to my thread you would have noticed that there was at one point an open dialogue between me and those helping, your comments do not apply to me."

Eric
Your Comment to me is absolutely uncalled for!
I am NOT looking for praise. I am NOT desperately seeking anything. There are others also who post questions and never follow up so as to benefit other owners.

Finally, emails going somewhere else? That's something a junior grade employee would use as an excuse. I've heard; " I never got that", a few times also, so it is not original

I will continue to help others where I can but will not respond to you from now on. Have a nice Holiday Season

I found this site from looking for a trailer hitch and wiring for my '03.
Very helpful even though the thread is from last year.
I've found LS hitches from both Curt and Draw tite (will likely go with the Curt because it's US made and they have a great installation video and support).

Anyway, I"m wondering if the LS hitch wiring will work with the Tbird? My understanding is that the wiring is complicated?

Can anyone here educated me?

Hello,

I can help. Our T-Bird's, the Lincoln LS and Windstar have whats called "Low Side" switching / negative power input. "Low Side" switching systems have 12 volts at the bulb at all times and ground is switched to activate the signal. So to provide lights on a t4 flat trailer connection a converter is needed. I initially installed the Curt 56195 but replaced it with a Hopkins 36345/46345 as this has a greater amp output which I needed for number of lights I have on the trailer. The wiring gets tricky but the key is knowing what to connect and where. I have a diagram of what wires you need to tap into on the T-Bird side. The good news is that with the battery in the trunk you won't have to run a wire to the front of the car. Send me a message with your contact info and I will get in touch.

John

John

Beautiful music...

I got a Curt hitch and wiring for a '03 Lincoln LS .

I've only had a preliminary look at the Tbird and "held" parts up to check out the install.

At first glance, it looks like I'll need to pull the lower rubber panal off the rear end for the hitch and in following the wiring harness, I don't find any of the connectors, that make the install on the LS so easy.

I appreciate to much that you can help. I love working on these cars and don't mind reinventing the wheel on some things, but the wiring isn't one of those......so any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

John Webb
9 Wisteria Lane
Bellingham, Wa
360 647 9007
nowr2L8@*******

John

Beautiful music...

I got a Curt hitch and wiring for a '03 Lincoln LS .

I've only had a preliminary look at the Tbird and "held" parts up to check out the install.

At first glance, it looks like I'll need to pull the lower rubber panal off the rear end for the hitch and in following the wiring harness, I don't find any of the connectors, that make the install on the LS so easy.

I appreciate to much that you can help. I love working on these cars and don't mind reinventing the wheel on some things, but the wiring isn't one of those......so any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

John Webb
9 Wisteria Lane
Bellingham, Wa
360 647 9007
nowr2L8@*******
Did you get it installed? how did the install go?

Did the Lincoln LS hitch work on the Thunderbird?

Last I heard from John Webb aka @BLKHWK he said had to do a little engineering here and there but the Lincoln hitch fitch just right and he didn't need to cut the facia or add any shims or extra bolts. Give him a call or Email using his contact info in the thread for more details and I'm sure he would be happy to share.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Last I heard from John Webb aka @BLKHWK he said had to do a little engineering here and there but the Lincoln hitch fitch just right and he didn't need to cut the facia or add any shims or extra bolts. Give him a call or Email using his contact info in the thread for more details and I'm sure he would be happy to share.

John
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back