Trading 2004 for 2003

jayjoyrush

jayjoyrush

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
We have a grey 2004 with 73,000 miles. My wife has always wanted a pastel color so we have found a 2003 Sky Blue with 35,000 miles and are considering a swap. Are there any issues that we should be aware of in making this decision? I did notice a wire running to the rear view mirror in the 2003 that is not present in our 2004. I have already changed the coils and plugs on the 2004.
Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Happy Wife, Happy Life! Don't know about mirror wire, I believe all else is the same except for wheels?

I really like my triple black 2003 with 60,000 miles; it still seems newish and a treat to drive; while it may sound silly, I enjoy the T bird as much as I did my 67 Vette; if you are happy with the 2003 color you are moving into, go for it and enjoy! Best, Ron, Tequesta, Florida

I have an 03 Torch Red Tbird and other than the coil issue I have had smooth sailing so far. I have a little over 30,000 miles and it drives as good or better than the day she came home with me. Happy motoring.

MIRROR WIRE There is an aftermarket rear view mirror that replaces the mirror the 2002-05 T-Bird's mirror. This mirror included a anti-glare feature as well as a compass. The compass direction is shown in the lower right corner of the mirror. Easy to see but not a distraction.
This mirror requires 12v to operate and that was usually sourced from the fuse box down by the passenger side footwell. The wire would be run up inside the footwell wall into the windshield molding & into the windshield header to the mirror.

Chances are the 2003 owner removed this type of mirror before parting with the car. or possibly the windshield was replaced and the "compass" mirror has been mis-placed.

Really like my triple black 03. Has 80,ooo miles and still run perfect, knock on wood. I don't see any difference between the two other than mileage and you like color better.

If the radio has been switched out with one that supports phone by bluetooth, the wire could also be for the external microphone.

Replace the windshield trim on my James Bond 03 thunderbird , very easy to do and doesn’t take no time at all.

Well, the switch is done and the car is home after a run from Hanover, PA to State College, PA dodging a couple of thunder storms. The car runs great with new Uniroyal Tiger Paws that the dealer threw on when I complained about the age of the tires. It also has a new Motorcraft battery. It also seems to brake better than the 2004 we traded in. Now for the issues I have discovered since inking the deal.
1. The inside weather stripping at the bottom of the drivers window has been damaged as has the door upholstery in the same area. I haven't researched these parts yet, but are they available?
2. Never tested the windshield wipers during our initial look at the car, but as we did get into some rain on the way home, i find the motor or mechanism is making quite a bit of noise. Is there a history of this?
3. Finally in washing the car when I got home I noticed the chrome header piece at the top of the windshield has several places where the chrome is bubbling up. In a previous post to this thread Dickiebird mentioned changing the windshield trim. Where did you get your replacement trim?

BTW the rearview mirror wire that I asked about in my original post powers two map lights that are on the bottom of the mirror. They can be turned on by little buttons on the bottom of the mirror and also stay on for a few seconds after exiting the car.

Now I need to get my neighbor to help me get the hard top off and we will be ready to go cruising.

My 03 Desert Sky Blue with two tone seats has always been a Southern car and it has 105k for miles. The car is still like brand new, no dents, scratches or bumper marks and all original, not a refurbish or repaint. It runs perfect and has all original papers, car fax, hard top and stand. I even have the original window sticker. The only thing I replaced myself was rear brake pads and calibers, sway links and replaced thermostat housing assy and the transfer coolant tube which was the hardest to do, but completed the job and no more leaks. I bought this car for my wife, but she passed away before she had time to enjoy it. Now I drive it all the time with her spirit and dog in the passenger seat.

Replace the windshield trim on my James Bond 03 thunderbird , very easy to do and doesn’t take no time at all.
I may need to replace the passenger side windshield trim. How is the interior plastic trim held on and do I have to take the top header trim off all the way. I don't want to crack the plastic trim prying it off. I can't find a video. Thanks

Back