Towing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yrbamje

Last seen
Well, I got another "problem". My wife is interested in getting a trailer/pull behind/whatever so we can go camping. (I use the word we advisedly. My idea of camping is to go to motel that doesn't have HBO!) She asked me how much the 'bird will pull. I asked her did she really want to pull something with the car?
So, has anyone got any experience with towing? How much capacity can the car tow? Do we need a special transmission? (If so, forget towing!!) Any insight that anyone has would make my life so much better.
Jim

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Well, I got another "problem". My wife is interested in getting a trailer/pull behind/whatever so we can go camping. (I use the word we advisedly. My idea of camping is to go to motel that doesn't have HBO!) She asked me how much the 'bird will pull. I asked her did she really want to pull something with the car?
So, has anyone got any experience with towing? How much capacity can the car tow? Do we need a special transmission? (If so, forget towing!!) Any insight that anyone has would make my life so much better.
Jim

The owners manual should tell you the towing capactity...

Jim:
I do not know what the manual says, but we have a very active member in our New England group that has a beauty. He and his wife travel to all of our events and fill it up with suit cases, polishing stuff and various other award items and special hood liner, which is a painting of his T-Bird. BTW, not a good picture but it is exactly the same color as the car.

This particular one is a standard make. However, if you want one to match your TBird, I know where there is a rear clip of a TBird, for sale, but I think you would need to know what to do with it - If you are handy, no problem. It's in Michigan and available for pick up.

Last edited:
Here's the rear clip. He's asking $2500, but I also believe he wants to move it, so that may be negotiable.

As always, there is someone who knows. Thanks to all.
I did look at the electronic version of the users manual that is in the forum and found that there is no towing package for the t'bird either from ford or lincoln.
I still need to do a little more detailed looking to determine the load tha tcan be towed. The manual talks a lot about a weight minus people, minus bafggage, minus golf clubs, etc.
So I gotta go a little deeper. Heav en forbid that I call the dealer!!!!!!!!
More as it develops. Thanks.
Jim

Jim:
I'll send an email to my friend and try to get whatever data he has, since he's already probably done the research.

Jim:
They're on vacation so it will be while longer. I don't think you're in a hurry anyway.
I do know that they did nothing with the transmission and the trailer is not a rear clip of a TBird, but it does look good. It sure has plenty of space as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back