Top Issue- 02-05 Ford Thunderbird Ignition Coils COP

tbird

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Thunderbird Year
Thunderbird Year
Wondering if anyone can comment on this....

I just replaced the spark plugs and coils in my 2004 T-Bird with 63,000 miles (Incidentally, I had to also replace the coils about 5,000 miles/4years ago).

The spark plug wells on the #4 and #8 plugs were filled with very fine dust, which I blew out with the compressor. The covers were securely in place so I dont see how dust can accumulate in those wells. Anyone else encounter this? Any idea where this could be coming from?

Thanks!

Hello tbird owners,
Yesterday my wife and I were on a joy ride and after our tur through the countryside e were going to get back on the highway on the on ramp and lost all power to the gas pedal. Car was still running but very eratic any clues to what the cause could be. We had to be towed home.
Yep. Exact same thing happened to me on the NJ Turnpike. A coil went bad. Car lost power, backfiring. This is a widely known issue. COPs go bad, and often fouls the plug(s) as well. I just had to replace all 8 of mine which was the 2nd time in 4 years and after adding about 5,000 miles. Once replaced engine runs smooth as silk again.

Thunderbird Year
Hello, this will likely be the valve cover gaskets. They get less flexible with the extreme heat of the engine. There are o-rings around each of the spark plugs which will be the source of the leak. New valve cover gasket set is the only answer,not expensive but a bit of labour involved, particularly on the driver's side and involves the fuel line to be depressurized and split at the connection above the valve cover. Try Rock Auto where you have a choice of gasket brands. I've just done mine on both sides. Good opportunity to replace the o-ring at the base of the oil filler tube too. It's not a hard job, just a bit hard to get to some bolts. Good luck Ian
Are the Valve Cover Gaskets for the driver side and the passenger side the same gasket?
Thanks

Thunderbird Year
none
I know this is an old thread...but I was wondering, when shopping a used 2003-2005, is there anything to look for in regards to this issue to see if the COPS has been resolved? The one I am considering has in its Carfax… Engine/powertrain computer/module replaced back in 2008 @ 56k at a Ford dealer. This was smack dab in the middle of the extended warranty period so I figure it was addressed. Owners sold it a year later.

Last edited by a moderator:

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I was wondering, when shopping a used 2003-2005, is there anything to look for in regards to this issue to see if the COPS has been resolved? The one I am considering has in its Carfax… Engine/powertrain computer/module replaced back in 2008 @ 56k at a Ford dealer. This was smack dab in the middle of the extended warranty period so I figure it was addressed. Owners sold it a year later.
First, click carfax and watch the video because that cannot be relied on for squat. Start reading this thread from page one and you will see what to look for. Take the car to a mechanic prior to purchase. Carfax is a false sense of security.