Tire rub on ‘56 Fender Skirts

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
RichW
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey Guys,

Not owned my car long and fitted the fender skirts for the first time. They look ok when fitted but they are rubbing on the tires when driving. Any one experienced this and any thoughts on solutions?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich, have you checked that you’re not rubbing on the latch “handle” of the skirt. I hope it’s not the radials as I’m going to be putting the same size radials on my 55 Bird that I’m restoring.
I’m sure you’ll hear more from the Forum. Good Luck

Rich, have you checked that you’re not rubbing on the latch “handle” of the skirt. I hope it’s not the radials as I’m going to be putting the same size radials on my 55 Bird that I’m restoring.
I’m sure you’ll hear more from the Forum. Good Luck
It is rubbing a bit on the handle JDJ, but plenty of guys run radials without problems. The car handles so much better on the radials than the bias plys.

Hey Guys,

Not owned my car long and fitted the fender skirts for the first time. They look ok when fitted but they are rubbing on the tyres when driving. Any one experienced this and any thoughts on solutions?

Thanks.
Possibly your quarter panel is not aligned properly

I have radials on my 57 and noticed that when I went on either the exit ramp or entrance ramp on the expressway that I would get a rub between the radial sidewall and the the fender skirt. I installed a front and rear sway bar kit which solved the problem completely and stiffened up the suspension in general . I wished I had installed them years ago.

I have radials on my 57 and noticed that when I went on either the exit ramp or entrance ramp on the expressway that I would get a rub between the radial sidewall and the the fender skirt. I installed a front and rear sway bar kit which solved the problem completely and stiffened up the suspension in general . I wished I had installed them years ago.
Hi Douglemmo, where did you get them from?

I found another article from the May/June 2018 Early Bird magazine that shows 2 options on how you can modify the fender skirt rod clamp if it is rubbing on your tire.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
fender-skirt-interfence-1.jpgfender-skirt-interfence-2.jpg

I found another article from the May/June 2018 Early Bird magazine that shows 2 options on how you can modify the fender skirt rod clamp if it is rubbing on your tire.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Great articles, thank you Doug. I’m going to take a look at the rear suspension and if that doesn’t work I will look at extending the clamp.

Guys, thanks for your help so far and sorry to be a pain, but I have measured the distance between the nearest part of the locking bar and tyre wall and I am getting around 1/4” space, how does this compare to your cars?

Guys, thanks for your help so far and sorry to be a pain, but I have measured the distance between the nearest part of the locking bar and tyre wall and I am getting around 1/4” space, how does this compare to your cars?
Another point is that the car sits about an inch and a quarter lower on the passenger side at the rear, which may not be helping. Worn damper or spring maybe?

Bought myself a set of the Wheel Vintiques wires for my 1956 and some wide whites from Coker. My issue is that there is almost zero clearance and when taking turns the release handle for the side skirts will rub the tires (cosmetically ruined).
Anyone have any similar experience, or ideas (other than ditching the skirts)? Thanks in advance

Bought myself a set of the Wheel Vintiques wires for my 1956 and some wide whites from Coker. My issue is that there is almost zero clearance and when taking turns the release handle for the side skirts will rub the tires (cosmetically ruined).
Anyone have any similar experience, or ideas (other than ditching the skirts)? Thanks in advance

We had the same issue on our '57. Prestige adjusted the handle on the skirts to solve the problem.

i had the problem with the release handle nicking the spinners on the wire wheels. i was able to flex the skirt out a bit and then i had to grind off a little bit of metal on the inside of the release handle.

I had the same problem on my 57. The basic problem is the movement of the body due to side flex of the springs, movement at the shackels, etc. I solved the tire rubbing problem and the excessive body lean on high speed corners (exit ramps) by installing a high performance sway bar kit, front and rear. I got it from Larry's T Bird. Easy installation, looks great (hardly noticible) and makes the car handle more like a modern car.

Had the same problem with spinners on hub of wire wheels hitting the lower lip of skirt. Problem only occured in corners and only a slight tick. Immediately stopped and removed the skirts before any damage was done. After a lot of trial and error of filing the lip on the skirt we gained enough clearance to allow sideways movement to not allow the wheel (hub) to come in contact with the lip on the skirt. Cost of materials $00. Labor an patience.......... extreme

Back