Thumping coming from soft top area

Tboy
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just recently purchased 2004 Thunderbird. Have not taken hard top off yet. Noticed when driving on a uneven surface causing the car to "flex" I hear a thumping sound coming from behind driver area. Have checked the top itself and it seems stable, no play. Checked trunk, etc. nothing to cause noise. Any info will be appreciated...

I would also suggest taking the hard top off and cleaning the rubber seals on the hardtop itself and treating the rubber. If your car does not have the stainless or Ford gasket trim on the rear deck you should consider adding this. Not sure if you will be able to find the Ford gasket but the stainless rear deck trim is available.

Thanks. I have heard that the top is difficult to replace. Is it a more than two person job? I think a lift system would be the best. What is the best way to store the hardtop when it’s removed? I Appreciate your help...

It only takes two people to remove the top. Just shuffle your feet slowly toward the back of the car, be careful as you can stumble if your feet hit the tires, which does happen from time to time. Top weighs around 80 pounds. If you purchase a lift, you can keep the top connected to the lift, I don't, but you can. The best way to store the top is on the hard top carrier stand, which came with the car. If you don't have one, you can check around to see if you can purchase one on line. The port hole windows go on the bottom of the carrier stand. Otherwise, if you have the room, just place in on a thick blanket flat on the floor with the painted side up. Good luck.

It only takes two people to remove the top. Just shuffle your feet slowly toward the back of the car, be careful as you can stumble if your feet hit the tires, which does happen from time to time. Top weighs around 80 pounds. If you purchase a lift, you can keep the top connected to the lift, I don't, but you can. The best way to store the top is on the hard top carrier stand, which came with the car. If you don't have one, you can check around to see if you can purchase one on line. The port hole windows go on the bottom of the carrier stand. Otherwise, if you have the room, just place in on a thick blanket flat on the floor with the painted side up. Good luck.
Will definitely give it a try. Thanks...

I agree with Vinnie, you do NOT want your wife helping you, even if she is a strong lady, there are just too many things that can go wrong, in more ways than one....... As far as the hoist is concerned, I recommend two people. One to handle the hoist and the other to guide the top off the car. The wife works out well for guiding the top off the car while you handle the hoist.

It seems a lot of Thunderbirds are missing the carry stand for the hard top, I know that every one I looked at in Southern California at the time were missing it, I know I looked hard but I just built one out of spare wood and it works fine. I stand the hard top behind the car at the back of the garage and the car fits in easily.

Also check the spare tire as they are known to blow apart and you may have one thats done that and its not being held in securely under the base cover in the trunk.

It seems a lot of Thunderbirds are missing the carry stand for the hard top, I know that every one I looked at in Southern California at the time were missing it, I know I looked hard but I just built one out of spare wood and it works fine. I stand the hard top behind the car at the back of the garage and the car fits in easily.

Also check the spare tire as they are known to blow apart and you may have one thats done that and its not being held in securely under the base cover in the trunk.
Thanks...

Old thread but since the subject came back around.... My '03 had a similar sound and found that most of the plastic push pins that hold the package shelf to the hard top were missing. Hard top needs removed to install all of them as some install from the bottom. Eight in all, still available from Ford, less than $20 for the set.

Back