Thinking of getting a rear sway bar for my 70. Anyone else here done that?

J

jazbo

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The thing really wallows. I'm hoping this plus stiffer shocks will settle it down a bit.

Doubt there is really any room for a sway bar. I had my 69 all pulled apart and it seems pretty tight back there once everything is back together. I did put on new springs (Moog) and shocks (Bilstein) and it feels much more stiffer than it used to be. Was pretty floaty.

Oh so you are supposed to mount it to the trailing arms? Hmm... I guess you would need to drill holes and then put that mounting plate on it. Good luck on your install. Let me know how it goes. I may pick one up for my 69 tbird

Yup, the link has downloadable instructions. Maybe you saw that already. I will def post how it works out.

I remember back in the 70s a rear sway bar was one indication of an unmarked cop car. Which I was always keeping an eye out for!

Got the rear sway bar on and the car corners much flatter now. Does not seem to have affected the ride much otherwise. Def worth the trouble. I had to drill new holes in the mounting plate but other than that it went on pretty easily.

Please post back after some miles as I’d like to hear your long term thoughts. My 70 has all new suspension, springs, shocks, etc but to me this thing floats way more than any Caddy or Lincoln I’ve had. Mine does have air shocks in the rear but other than that everything is stock.

Please post back after some miles as I’d like to hear your long term thoughts. My 70 has all new suspension, springs, shocks, etc but to me this thing floats way more than any Caddy or Lincoln I’ve had. Mine does have air shocks in the rear but other than that everything is stock.
Yeah I agree these cars do tend to float. But I guess these era tbirds where meant to cruise, not be muscle. I would guess stiffer springs and shocks would tighten it up. The sway bar seems like it could as well.

Back