The curse of my 2004 wide doors...and solution

Aznav

Aznav

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Not long after receiving my 2004 T-Bird, I discovered the hard way that the doors were exceptionally wide. I manage to bang the door of the car next to me. It left a considerable mark...not dent. Ended up costing me $400. Went to Amazon and discovered these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078JPC8VJ/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

Cheap and they work!! Had several more door-slamming incidents until my muscle memory kicked in.IMG_0360.jpegIMG_0361.jpeg

Yes, I walk considerable distances to park far away from others.

Not sure if available today other than from one source that appears to be not reliable, but mine came equipped with chrome edge protection added on top to bottom

They may be factory on this edition or could have been purchased off market by previous owner, not sure which

So far they have proved successful and actually add looks to the car. They showed a small barely noticeable ding or two when I bought it, so they do work

Others will likely know availability

Yes, I walk considerable distances to park far away from others.

Not sure if available today other than from one source that appears to be not reliable, but mine came equipped with chrome edge protection added on top to bottom

They may be factory on this edition or could have been purchased off market by previous owner, not sure which

So far they have proved successful and actually add looks to the car. They showed a small barely noticeable ding or two when I bought it, so they do work

Others will likely know availability
The chrome edge was aftermarket. Today I noticed that someone managed to put a crease in the lower portion of my passenger door. First damage in 17 years.

I park way out in the parking lot so hopefully they don't hit my bird or antique

When I lived in Southern California I would always park down the far end of the parking lot away from anyone, you could guarantee when I returned a huge darn truck would always be parked right next to it. Every darn time, used to infuriate me, loads of empty spaces but they would park right up againt my TBird. grrrrr

And for a separate question...
Anyone have a source for door props for retro Thunderbirds? For use at car shows when doors have to be open for judging.

I think those clods who do that are just lonely. Once had my antique parked out at edge of parking lot and some ------ still managed to hit square in the door of a 72 impala convertible.

Back