T5 in a 1955'

Tyler Townsley

Tyler Townsley

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Having not found much good information on installing a T-5 in a baby bird I will post my journey to put a T-5 in my 55.

First go here and know your t5’s:
http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?22730-difference-between-a-4-banger-T5-and-a-v8-T5-tranny

There are currently 2 vendors who offer an adapter to put an early T-5 behind a Y block. Do a search on Google to find one.

The early T-5s can be upgraded with later internals to avoid the problems associated with the early versions (which are the ones used with the adapters).

There are 3 methods to make this conversion.

1. When doing a body off install the drive train before dropping the body. (You will need to cut the tunnel to clear the shifter part of the transmission. You will be able to see where this cut needs to be made from the pictures I post.

2. Install the transmission with the engine. Again the floor will need to be cut to clear the transmission shifter. Although the trans is 3 (watch out the adapter adds 1 inch) in shorter it is a tall transmission so it will be a tight fit.

3. Leave the motor in and pull the transmission and put the adapter/T-5 in that way. This is what I did and would not recommend this approach as you have to cut the tunnel to get enough clearance to slide the trans back to get it in the bell housing. As you can see from the pictures I made a series of cuts before making the hole large enough to get the transmission into the bell housing. (The rear cut needs to be about 12 rear of the stock opening, and the frount needs to be about 10 in to the front of the opening.)

4. Pictures at: LINK REMOVED, does not work. Upload photos to your post.

5. Make sure you have the correct input shaft see above.
The driveshaft has to be around 29 ½ in long (yoke center to yoke center).

If you use the stock driveshaft end you will need a Dana crossover u joint as the stock yoke uses an inner clip and most T-5 yokes use a 1330 outer clip u joint.

Things to look out for:

1 U joint clearance at transmission tail shaft. There are 2 u joint sizes used with the T-5 yoke, a 3 ¼ and a 3 ½ you need to make sure the joint clears the x frame.

2 The stock driveshaft yoke uses an inner c clip u joint end so you can either change this end when you lengthen the shaft or use a crossover u joint. Most parts guys have not got a clue, best thing is to take the t-5 yoke to the guy who lengthens the shaft.

3. The stock u joint on the rear end is special so make sure you do not change this without changing the yoke on the rear end.

There are currently 2 vendors who offer an adapter to put an early T-5 behind a Y block. Do a search on Google to find one.

The early T-5s can be upgraded with later internals to avoid the problems associated with the early versions (which are the ones used with the adapters).

1. When doing a body off install the drive train before dropping the body. (You will need to cut the tunnel to clear the shifter part of the transmission. You will be able to see where this cut needs to be made from the pictures I post.

2. Install the transmission with the engine. Again the floor will need to be cut to clear the transmission shifter. Although the trans is 3 (watch out the adapter adds 1 inch) in shorter it is a tall transmission so it will be a tight fit.

3. Leave the motor in and pull the transmission and put the adapter/T-5 in that way. This is what I did and would not recommend this approach as you have to cut the tunnel to get enough clearance to slide the trans back to get it in the bell housing. As you can see from the pictures I made a series of cuts before making the hole large enough to get the transmission into the bell housing. (The rear cut needs to be about 12 rear of the stock opening, and the frount needs to be about 10 in to the front of the opening.)

If you use the stock driveshaft end you will need a Dana crossover u joint as the stock yoke uses an inner clip and most T-5 yokes use a 1330 outer clip u joint.

Things to look out for:

1 U joint clearance at transmission tail shaft. There are 2 u joint sizes used with the T-5 yoke, a 3 ¼ and a 3 ½ you need to make sure the joint clears the x frame.

2 The stock driveshaft yoke uses an inner c clip u joint end so you can either change this end when you lengthen the shaft or use a crossover u joint. Most parts guys have not got a clue, best thing is to take the t-5 yoke to the guy who lengthens the shaft.

3. The stock u joint on the rear end is special so make sure you do not change this without changing the yoke on the rear end.

It REALLY makes a difference.

Tyler

Last edited by a moderator:
I just installed a 1992 Mustang T5 in my 1955 TBird. Issue was either remove the engine or remove the engine
mounting, exhaust and Radiator. This was to move the engine forward enough to allow work on the bellhousing.
I reversed the original rear engine mount and use it for the T5. Also I used a stock 1963 Corvette Drive shaft.
After getting the necessary U joint's, and clutch disk, all fitted good. Remember to modify the T5 input shaft so it wont rub the engine crank pinion. If you want the exact installation details, the person making this Mod was John Rollison at Pro Tech Performance, Waldorf, MD. 301 638 2109. He is on the web for more contact information. He has made this modification and knows the Pro's and Con's ...
The T5 makes a great big difference over the original 3 speed. Now to the car Shows,,,

Having not found much good information on installing a T-5 in a baby bird I will post my journey to put a T-5 in my 55.

First go here and know your t5’s:
http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?22730-difference-between-a-4-banger-T5-and-a-v8-T5-tranny

Things to look out for:

Things to look out for:

It REALLY makes a difference.

Tyler

Back