Switch seat cushions and backs on 2004 Bird?

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
JW in Dixie

JW in Dixie

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Driver seat cushions showing some wear, passenger set still like new. Can they be easily switched? This is on a Ford Thunderbird 2004. Thx

Driver seat cushions showing some wear, passenger set still like new. Can they be easily switched? This is on a Ford Thunderbird 2004. Thx
I was able to find a professional leather repair company that dyes leater furniture to repair my drivers seat. It was a franchise called Creatuve Colors. M seats look like new.

Thanks for that tip. I will look for a service that does that. Cheers, JW 2004

If the 2004 has the same features as a 2005, there is a manual lumbar adjustment on the driver side that isn't present on the passenger side- a knob sticks out of the inboard front side of the driver seat cushion to adjust the lumbar support. If you switch the covers, you'll have to put a hole in the passenger seat cover for the knob.

The seat backs have the side air bags in the outboard sides, so they will have weak spots to allow the air bags to exit. If you switch the seat backs, the weak spots will be on the wrong sides. The seat back covers will also have holes for the seat belt guides on the outboard top corners, and if switched, those will be on the wrong sides.

You would be better off to talk to a local trim shop (ask your favorite body shop who they use) and ask what it would take to freshen up the seats. It will probably take new foam inside as well as covers, since that breaks down with age and use too. At least you'll know what a professional job would entail. There might be a seat cover kit available that would make it a reasonable job.

Back